• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Adumbrate

Adumbrate

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:55 AM

This was one of a few tiny blue creatures clinging to the side of our boat as we came up from a dive in Hahei, New Zealand. 

It wouldn't surprise me if this was a rather common creature and possibly well known, but I wouldn't have a clue where to begin looking for proper identification as I cannot even fathom a guess as to the correct taxonomic classification.

At most 3mm long, this was the best photo I could manage I'm afraid, but I'm hoping it contains enough detail to make out what it is. I've also attached the other photo I got, but that was at f/32 and rather fuzzy as a result.

Q5XVqrP.jpg

-
5WyzqxP.jpg

Thanks for all the help everyone!

#2 Stuart Keasley

Stuart Keasley

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:38 AM

Looks like an egg, thats just hatched, moving from larvae to juvenile? I'm no expert, however it reminds me of a mahi-mahi....

Edited by Stuart Keasley, 14 April 2014 - 08:38 AM.

Visit bottlefish.net for my personal web site.
Visit Black Flag TV Ltd if you'd like to hire me or any of our cameras.

#3 Adumbrate

Adumbrate

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:07 AM

Looks like an egg, thats just hatched, moving from larvae to juvenile? I'm no expert, however it reminds me of a mahi-mahi....

According to this link a larval/juvenile mahi-mahi looks like this, and is as such also quite a bit larger.

This was truly smaller than the width of a fingernail, and the eye looks like a bead, not really fully formed like in it seems to show in juvenile fish.