Photo
- - - - -

Ikelite Canon 100D / Rebel SL1 : review ?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 blibecap

blibecap

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:07 AM

Below are two pictures taken with the ikelite housing and the Tokina 10-17 lens set at 10mm. The first picture is taken with the ikelite dome and the second one is taken prototype precision dome. Both pictures were taken from the same location, withe the camera mounted on a tripod with 18" between the front of the dome and the same subject. I have full size images but I loaded these into the editor and re-sized them only. I hope to be able to get some pictures with both domes at 12mm soon. 

Attached Images

• ike-10-17-800.JPG
  • pre-10-17-800.JPG

Bill Libecap
Cincinnati, Oh
http://www.UwCameraStuff.com
Home of the Housing Sentry, the ultimate leak prevention system.

#62 gargar

gargar

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:58 AM

If that dome becomes available at a decent price point I would certainly be interested.

#63 pointy

pointy

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:15 PM

Below are two pictures taken with the ikelite housing and the Tokina 10-17 lens set at 10mm. The first picture is taken with the ikelite dome and the second one is taken prototype precision dome. Both pictures were taken from the same location, withe the camera mounted on a tripod with 18" between the front of the dome and the same subject. I have full size images but I loaded these into the editor and re-sized them only. I hope to be able to get some pictures with both domes at 12mm soon. 

How would the coverage compare if the test photos were taken underwater? Would it change much from a surface test?

John MCracken

#64 blibecap

blibecap

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:35 PM

Posted Today, 06:15 PM

blibecap, on 14 Jul 2014 - 1:07 PM, said:snapback.png

How would the coverage compare if the test photos were taken underwater? Would it change much from a surface test?

John MCracken

The pictures were taken underwater. The domes would not effect the picture in the air except for the vignetting. If you will notice the ikelite has a smaller field of view than the prototype dome. You can tell this by the distance between the white Velcro strips on the background as well as the apparent size of the background.

Bill Libecap
Cincinnati, Oh

#65 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:15 PM

If you conserved the sensor plane distance to target rather than distance from front of dome would you get the same difference in coverage? If so you may have made a breakthrough. Many of us use wide ports rather than hemispheres with fisheye lenses and may have been getting more subject magnification without knowing it.

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.
www.flickr.com/photos/tomkline/

#66 FanchGadjo

FanchGadjo

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:37 AM

Bill, thank you for showing us your prototype results. It looks good !

Steve, your crabe picture is really good. I think this example is very well

suited for a quick "content aware filler" processing in photoshop for the

corners.

post-47362-0-64435800-1405356485_caf.jpg

post-47362-0-64435800-1405356485.jpg

#67 blibecap

blibecap

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:15 AM

If you conserved the sensor plane distance to target rather than distance from front of dome would you get the same difference in coverage? If so you may have made a breakthrough. Many of us use wide ports rather than hemispheres with fisheye lenses and may have been getting more subject magnification without knowing it.

The distance from the sensor to the subject did not change as the housing was mounted on a tripod with a quick disconnect. The tripod was never removed from the pool and did not move during the session so the distance from the sensor to the subject remained constant.  The subject / target was suspended in front of the tripod. The reference distance from the front of the dome to the subject of 18" is just a reference distance.

If you research the subject you will find that it is known that a full hemispherical dome will provide a wider coverage than a smaller section of a larger dome. Yes if you have a wide angle lens fish-eye or rectilinear and you are not using a full hemispherical dome you are not getting the maximum view.   

Bill Libecap
Cincinnati, Oh

#68 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:19 AM

The distance from the sensor to the subject did not change as the housing was mounted on a tripod with a quick disconnect. The tripod was never removed from the pool and did not move during the session so the distance from the sensor to the subject remained constant.  The subject / target was suspended in front of the tripod. The reference distance from the front of the dome to the subject of 18" is just a reference distance.

If you research the subject you will find that it is known that a full hemispherical dome will provide a wider coverage than a smaller section of a larger dome. Yes if you have a wide angle lens fish-eye or rectilinear and you are not using a full hemispherical dome you are not getting the maximum view.   

Thanks! One learns something new every day! I recall a thread from a few years back where it was shown (here on WP) that diopters reduced angle of view but not without them, which I assume is the case here since you were using a FE lens.

I found the thread I was thinking of:

http://wetpixel.com/...ic=28444&page=5

See post 98 for example. This led to quite a bit of discussion in the thread.

Edited by Tom_Kline, 16 July 2014 - 09:51 AM.

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.
www.flickr.com/photos/tomkline/