#1 Stuart Keasley

Stuart Keasley

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:52 PM

Looks like my prayers have been answered

http://www.subal.com...nitors/S7Q.aspx

My interest is to pair up with the FS700, however Convergent Design have also said the 7Q will support the Sony A7S, and presumably therefore the GH4.

Edited by Stuart Keasley, 15 April 2014 - 11:03 PM.

Visit bottlefish.net for my personal web site.
Visit Black Flag TV Ltd if you'd like to hire me or any of our cameras.

#2 thetrickster

thetrickster

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:59 PM

Someone heard you Stuart!!! Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards, Richard

--

Gear:  GH4, 12-35mm, 7-14mm, 8mm FishEye, 60mm, Atomos Ninja2, NA-GH3, NA-NINJA2, Zen 170mm Dome, Keldan Luna 8 CRI's

Underwater 4K Videos

#3 Stuart Keasley

Stuart Keasley

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:03 PM

Someone heard you Stuart!!! Nice
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:)

#4 thetrickster

thetrickster

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:40 PM

Its a monster! Crieky!

I appreciate that the 7Q 'will' work with other 4K/1080 cameras, which is great - but I think strapping one of these to a Nauticam housing will be a odd looking contraption!

Looking forward to seeing it Stuart - can't believe you won't be getting one ;)

Edited by thetrickster, 15 April 2014 - 11:45 PM.

Regards, Richard

--

Gear:  GH4, 12-35mm, 7-14mm, 8mm FishEye, 60mm, Atomos Ninja2, NA-GH3, NA-NINJA2, Zen 170mm Dome, Keldan Luna 8 CRI's

Underwater 4K Videos

#5 Stuart Keasley

Stuart Keasley

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:02 AM

Its a monster! Crieky!

I appreciate that the 7Q 'will' work with other 4K/1080 cameras, which is great - but I think strapping one of these to a Nauticam housing will be a odd looking contraption!

Looking forward to seeing it Stuart - can't believe you won't be getting one ;)

Yep, it's big. Not sure that any offering for the Shogun would be that much smaller, they both starting with big units, and you need a bit of space to get the connectors in etc... so both are going to look a bit oversized when paired with the GH4 or A7S (but then you do get a glorious 7" monitor to look at....)

What we really need is for someone to come up with a 4 inch monitor 4k solution ;)

But in the mean time, it's taken pole position on our wish list... soon as I get my sweaty paws on one, I'll fire up a review...

I'll try and get some more info from Subal on specs, functionality, dimensions etc

#6 thetrickster

thetrickster

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:29 AM

What we really need is for someone to come up with a 4 inch monitor 4k solution ;)

Ninja4k - thats what we need!! Same form factor as the Ninja2 (saves buying another housing!), the same screen tech (so the rubber buttons work) but 4k, and a nicer screen.

I'm torn now with the GH4....! do I go 10bit 1080 422 to the Ninja2, or do I forgo the 10bit and get 4k 8bit 420 to the SD..... so yeah Atomos - get a hurry up on a 4k Ninja!!  :bye:

Regards, Richard

--

Underwater 4K Videos

#7 Stuart Keasley

Stuart Keasley

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:01 AM

Ninja4k - thats what we need!! Same form factor as the Ninja2 (saves buying another housing!), the same screen tech (so the rubber buttons work) but 4k, and a nicer screen.

I'm torn now with the GH4....! do I go 10bit 1080 422 to the Ninja2, or do I forgo the 10bit and get 4k 8bit 420 to the SD..... so yeah Atomos - get a hurry up on a 4k Ninja!!  :bye:

:) We can hope, although I'm sure the demand for a 4" EVF recorder for all of these 4k recording devices is going to go be quite encouraging to the manufacturers!!

As for you, I'd still say get the Ninja 2. First and foremost, the monitor is almost 50% bigger than on board. I'm not too convinced about the colour reproduction but for framing and focus it makes life a lot more comfortable. I'd also say that 10 bit HD may sometimes be a better option than 4k 8 bit... what you give away in res you gain back in scope of data.

Edited by Stuart Keasley, 16 April 2014 - 01:01 AM.

#8 Norman McMillan Artist

Norman McMillan Artist

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:37 PM

Hello Stuart I was speaking with Joe from amphibico today and he said that you were using the FS700 with the 7Q with their Amphibico housing do you have any footage that you could share that demos this package?

Thank you,

Norman McMillan.

norman@normanmcmillan.com

#9 Stuart Keasley

Stuart Keasley

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:12 AM

Hi Norman,

Sorry for the delay in responding, only just back in the country! I've only used the 7Q FS700 Amphibico combo in a studio based environment, I've not managed to get my hands on the 7Q as yet, so I'm having to run that top side linked with HD-SDI cable.

I did a review in December, details here:

http://wetpixel.com/...=51985&hl=fs700

There's also a link to short clip on Vimeo, showing the grading potential of the raw files. 

http://www.vimeo.com/82280380

My overall opinion, very impressed, can't wait to get a housing for the 7Q so as I can free myself from the top side tether!

Edited by Stuart Keasley, 20 May 2014 - 05:13 AM.

#10 dreifish

dreifish

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:40 PM

Has anyone tested out the S7Q with the Subal or Amphibico housing for the FS700? Impressions? Really interested on how sony raw works for underwater footage, given the general negativity towards the fs700's internal recording when it comes to underwater.