• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Akoni

Akoni

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:09 PM

Does anyone have a slight wobble or 'play' in their 45 Nauticam viewfinder? My copy wobbles slightly if you hold the body in one hand and move the 'mounting tube' up/down with the other. Not sure if this is normal or acceptable. The 180 finder I have does not have any discernible play....maybe they are constructed differently?

If some folks can check theirs and report back that would be great!

Edited by Akoni, 16 April 2014 - 06:10 PM.

#2 diggy

diggy

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:U/W Photography

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:50 AM

Hi Akoni

It's funny cause I have the straight viewfinder that kind of moves. Not exactly a wobble but feels kind of loose. Although having said this have never had a leak.

Diggy

SERENE I FOLD MY HANDS AND WAIT,    FOR WHAT IS MINE WILL KNOW MY FACE

Diggy          http://www.scubadiggy.com/

Canon7D, Nauticam housing, mini and large dome, canon 100mm, canon 60mm, 10-17 tokina, macro ports, extensions, two inon Z240, Nauticam SMC converter, +3, +5 diopters. Two Sola 2000, One Sola 1200, Go Pro hero 3 Black 

#3 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:43 PM

Yes, there is a bit of side to side play in those that I have used. Never been a problem though.

www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#4 rumblefish

rumblefish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photography and wreckdiving. Contributing editor to dive magazines in The Netherlands and Belgium.

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:12 AM

mine wobbles a wee bit. perfectly dry though. No worries.

--Rob

Nikon D600, Nikon D80, Tokina 10-17mm FE, Sigma 14mm, 24mm macro, Nikon 60mm macro, Sigma 180mm macro. Nauticam NA-D600, 45° viewfinder, Subal ND80, GS180 viewfinder. Sea&Sea YS350 and YS90. ULCS arms.

#5 CamelToad

CamelToad

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:44 AM

Ditto....my 45-degree VF has a tiny bit of "play" in it, but no issues at all.

-James

My Flikr 

#6 Akoni

Akoni

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:36 PM

Good to hear I'm not the only one. Thanks folks!

ps. To clarify the original post for anyone researching finders, the 180 version does not rotate.

Edited by Akoni, 22 April 2014 - 05:09 PM.

#7 divegypsy

divegypsy

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:55 AM

My Nauticam viewfinder also "wobble" slightly when the viewfinders are on the housing above the water.  But when underwater the water pressure, and also the negative internal pressure of my vacuum seal leak detector, seem to hold the viewfinder in place better.  Nauticam uses an o-ring to hold the viewfinder in the housing.  And has two o-rings on the viewfinder "tube".  I believe it is these o-rings that are the cause of the viewfinder wobble.  I've been down to depths of about 200' repeatedly with the Nauticam viewfinder on my Subal ND800, via an adapter, and never had a drop of water get in the housing.

Fred

#8 cbrich

cbrich

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:37 AM

My 45 also wobbles a tiny bit, but never put much thought into, since my housing a vacuum system on it, and it holds vacuum every time.

#9 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:33 PM

I must admit I was a bit alarmed when I saw how my VF was attached and the slight play. Even queried it with

my supplier. However it has never ever been an issue and I have total confidence in it. I guess my only potential

concern is what could happen if it was somehow snagged and then pulled at a shallow depth.

Cheers,

Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#10 Akoni

Akoni

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:37 AM

Not sure if the 45 finder uses a single or double barrel o-ring to seal between rotating parts. I would guess mine is a single or if it's a double....one might be missing. I have added a vacuum system to my housing for added peace of mind. I'll ask the techs next time I'm at the store.

#11 diggy

diggy

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:U/W Photography

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:13 AM

Hi Akoni, the part that goes into the hole of the housing has two O rings. And then there is the retainer O ring that you put on inside the housing once the view finder is pushed inside. So 3 o rings totally. http://reefphoto.com...roducts_id=5827

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by diggy, 20 May 2014 - 03:39 AM.

SERENE I FOLD MY HANDS AND WAIT,    FOR WHAT IS MINE WILL KNOW MY FACE

Diggy          http://www.scubadiggy.com/

Canon7D, Nauticam housing, mini and large dome, canon 100mm, canon 60mm, 10-17 tokina, macro ports, extensions, two inon Z240, Nauticam SMC converter, +3, +5 diopters. Two Sola 2000, One Sola 1200, Go Pro hero 3 Black 

#12 Akoni

Akoni

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:29 PM

Hi Akoni, the part that goes into the hole of the housing has two O rings. And then there is the retainer O ring that you put on inside the housing once the view finder is pushed inside. So 3 o rings totally. http://reefphoto.com...roducts_id=5827

Diggy, understood. However, I am referring to the internal o-rings that allow the viewfinder to rotate.