12 replies to this topic

#1 elliottjessup

elliottjessup

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Scientific Diving, Documentaries, and Natural History Films

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:52 PM

I'm curious if anyone has started to do a breakdown on the current 4k options at the prosumer level with housing options already on the market or announced. I've seen a number of mentions on specific cameras but no comparisons, so I will start with listing what is currently available to my knowledge, and what we know of that might be interesting down the line.  If you feel inclined, please comment with additions, pro/cons, opinions, experiences, etc:

Sony FDR-AX100 - Aditech Housing available (anyone have experience with this housing manufacture?)

Sony FDR-AX1 - Gates Z100 housing compatible 

Sony PXW-Z100 - Gates housing available, Nauticam to release housing in next 6 months

Sony NEX-FS700 - Subal housing available

Blackmagic Cinema - Nauticam housing available 

Blackmagic Production - Nauticam housing available

Panasonic GH4 - Selux announced housing, possible Nauticam GH3 fit

Canon 1DC - Aquatica, Nauticam, Sealux housings available

I'm sure I have missed a number of cameras and housings, so please add to the list.  If you have experience shooting any of these, insight would be welcomed. 

Beyond this the it looks like prices start to go through the roof for full setups such as a Sony F-5/55 or the RED Cameras.  The AJA CION certainly looks like an interesting camera as well, but who knows when it will be released followed by a housing, though I would suspect some of the housing manufacturers are already working on this one.  

Best,

Elliott

#2 thetrickster

thetrickster

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:10 AM

Sony A7S (same form factor / buttons) as the current A7/A7R, so will fit in the NA-A7 Housing (I guess)

Sadly the 4k output is only available via the HDMI port - so an external record will be needed.

At the moment the 'only' 4k recorder to get a housing is the Odyssey 7Q - housing by Subal - and its massive.

As you can tell from my Sig, I'm going down the GH4 line - and praying that Atomos hear us and release a Ninja2 (4k) so we can continue to use our NA-NINJA2 housings :)   The GH4 is exactly the same shape/size as the GH3, apart from a slight difference in height with the command dial, a couple of people have confirmed it 'fits' but the command dial is not operational. Nauticam(USA) have mentioned a simple kit should be in the works to change the command dial bits of the NA-GH3 to fit.

I'm expecting them to go all out with the NA-GH4 and give us, integrated handles and the newer port release mechanism. But I'll stick with my NA-GH3 for now (as I've retrofitted the Vacuum thingy)

The Aditech housings, I think are just  generic 'tube' housings, which are retro fitted to fit, so these won't be the most optimal size/shape compared to the other brands 

Edited by thetrickster, 18 April 2014 - 01:14 AM.

Regards, Richard

--

Gear:  GH4, 12-35mm, 7-14mm, 8mm FishEye, 60mm, Atomos Ninja2, NA-GH3, NA-NINJA2, Zen 170mm Dome, Keldan Luna 8 CRI's

Underwater 4K Videos

#3 thani

thani

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Water

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:57 AM

I'm curious if anyone has started to do a breakdown on the current 4k options at the prosumer level with housing options already on the market or announced. I've seen a number of mentions on specific cameras but no comparisons, so I will start with listing what is currently available to my knowledge, and what we know of that might be interesting down the line.  If you feel inclined, please comment with additions, pro/cons, opinions, experiences, etc:

Sony FDR-AX100 - Aditech Housing available (anyone have experience with this housing manufacture?)
Sony FDR-AX1 - Gates Z100 housing compatible 
Sony PXW-Z100 - Gates housing available, Nauticam to release housing in next 6 months
Sony NEX-FS700 - Subal housing available
Blackmagic Cinema - Nauticam housing available 
Blackmagic Production - Nauticam housing available
Panasonic GH4 - Selux announced housing, possible Nauticam GH3 fit
Canon 1DC - Aquatica, Nauticam, Sealux housings available

I'm sure I have missed a number of cameras and housings, so please add to the list.  If you have experience shooting any of these, insight would be welcomed. 

Beyond this the it looks like prices start to go through the roof for full setups such as a Sony F-5/55 or the RED Cameras.  The AJA CION certainly looks like an interesting camera as well, but who knows when it will be released followed by a housing, though I would suspect some of the housing manufacturers are already working on this one.  

Best,
Elliott

Black Magic cinema camera is not a 4k it is a 2.5k

I already bought the BMPC 4k hence it will offer lossless raw recording internally. No need for external recorders/monitors. I've got the BMCC as well so the transition for me was easy :). I making a custom universal housing.
Best Regards,
Thani

#4 peterbkk

peterbkk

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photographry Underwater Video.

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:37 PM

I'm curious if anyone has started to do a breakdown on the current 4k options at the prosumer level with housing options already on the market or announced. I've seen a number of mentions on specific cameras but no comparisons, so I will start with listing what is currently available to my knowledge, and what we know of that might be interesting down the line. 

Best,

Elliott

Good idea, Elliot.

I don't have any to add to this list but I'm also keeping a close eye on this market.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards the GH4 with a Shogun monitor/recorder and battery pack, all crammed into a tailored housing.  4K, 10-bit, 422, ProRes.

The Sony A7s could be a potential with its low-light capabilities but limiting to external 8-bit is a bit of a let down.  And, waiting for someone to take one underwater to see how it manages colour.

But, it's early days and I'll watch this thread closely.

Drew: maybe a thread to "pin".

Regards

Peter

#5 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:27 AM

Peter, the BMPC4K does 4K 10bit, 422 prores internally.
Plus it's small & light with a 5inch screen.

Panasonic GH4 user

My Vimeo page vimeo.com/user8157547

#6 thani

thani

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Water

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:31 AM

Let me add to this to good potential cameras in this domain:
KineMini 4k &
KineMax 6k

Got the right size to be housed easily & the right features for shooting :)
Thanks to David, They are discussed here on wetpixel under this thread:
http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=51187
Best Regards,
Thani

#7 elliottjessup

elliottjessup

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:43 PM

Anyone here have any experience with the Sony Z100? I'm leaning most heavily towards this in combination with the Fathom port on the Gates housing... 

#8 kkfok

kkfok

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:22 PM

Another option for Sony FDR-AX100

http://www.recsea.jp/list/AX100.html

Edited by kkfok, 22 April 2014 - 07:22 PM.

#9 elliottjessup

elliottjessup

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:17 PM

Well I went with Z100 in the Gates housing, spending a month doing deep reef research in the Philippines through May. I'll try to post some results for those interested.

#10 Roger Eve

Roger Eve

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Interests:Amateur u/w videography. Warm Waters only :-)
    Sailing, Flight Simulation....
    Enjoying a healthy (so far) retirement :-))

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:58 PM

Gates are advertising a housing for the AX100, not sure if it is available yet.
Roger "Bones" Eve - Arundel England

#11 HGVT

HGVT

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:53 AM

Sony' FDR-Ax100 video-out problems.

Important note:

While recording XAVC S 4K movies, you cannot output movies to an external monitor via an HDMI/video connection. Only the camcorder on-screen display is output (models with the 4K functionality). That means: If you press record in the 4K mode all video outputs disappear. If you press stop all video outputs are back. All filmers who need an external Monitor, like on steadycam or a crane can't use this camcorder. This problem is only in the 4K mode...and Sony don't want to fix this bug.

#12 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10631 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:19 PM

I doubt it's a "bug" but an issue with the DSP CPU.  4k is pretty intensive so dealing with the 4k output means there isn't enough power to output 1080p via HDMI.  Maybe in AX200 when chips are more powerful.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#13 Aussiejosho

Aussiejosho

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:42 AM

Hi Elliot, I'm looking forward to seeing your results. I have also just started using the Z100 in Gates (thankfully none of the AX100 video output problems HGVT reported) and am loving the rig and results. Only 16 dives so far and much to learn but the sharpest images I have ever made and that makes even average(boring) subjects seem amazing again.

Cheers,

Josh

Josh Jensen
Sony Z100 and Panasonic HVX200, Gates Housing, L&M Lights
Undersea Productions