• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DecidedlyOdd

DecidedlyOdd

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:34 AM

I'm shooting a Canon T2i/550D in a Nauticam housing. I've already got the great 10-17 Tokina FE in the Zen 100mm dome, but I'm looking at adding a rectilinear wide angle for some variation. After much consideration of stepping up to full frame (have an unhoused 5D3 I use above water) or across to M43 for smaller size, I've decided I'm going to stick with my current system for a while longer. I figure I can always reuse a good dome on a future housing.

Most of my diving is done locally in Puget Sound where I mostly shoot macro and occasionally CFWA. However, the driving factor for a new lens option is that I'm booked on a Red Sea liveaboard at the end of the summer where there will be wrecks and larger pelagics like dolphins and sharks.

A lot of the info out there is for Nikon or full frame setups, but these appear to be the options for Canon APS-C:

Canon 10-22: Some people seem to be using it but I haven't been able to find much info about how well it works. It focuses down to 24cm which seems fairly good and it can take diopters to firm up corners. I used to own this lens, but sold it a while back when I moved to full frame above water.

Sigma 10-20: Lots of folks using this too, but many seem to be Nikon shooters which makes me wonder if it just fills a gap in Nikon's lineup better. Also focuses down to 24cm. Sounds very similar to the Canon, but unsure what the differences are.

Sigma 8-16: Looks interesting in that it's so wide. Also focuses down to 24cm. I'm a bit worried that it may be too wide for my purposes. It also seems like getting good corners may be more difficult due to the width and lack of ability to take diopters.

Tokina 11-16: Concerning that this only focuses to 30cm. I've used this above water before, but ended up with the Canon to get more range. Not sure this is really an option.

I'd really prefer something that does well without a diopter, but can take one when I really need improved corners for a great image.

What are others using and how happy are you with it?

As far domes, my impression is that at least an 8 inch dome is required for any of these lenses. That size dome already seems massive compared to my 100mm Zen, but beautiful photos require some suffering I suppose. I'm considering the 8.5" Nauticam acrylic dome, although I'd be up for spending some extra money for glass if it makes sense.

What would work best here? 200mm? or can you get away with the new Zen 170mm in some cases? I think the 230mm and 9+" domes are probably beyond my bulk and budget restrictions.

#2 Akoni

Akoni

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:21 PM

Would be interested in what you find out as well. Hopefully some folks will chime in soon.

#3 escape

escape

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:35 PM

I've been using Canon 10-22, Sigma 8-16mm.
You really need big dome (at least 9 inch) for these rectilinear lenses, I tried it 6~7inch dome (with / without diopter) but really bad corner.
Sigma at 8mm is nice, it's wide, sharp, good contrast but sometime ugly light fall-off at corner if aperture is wider than f/8.
IMHO, 10-22mm is much better, specially zoom range (15-22mm) and mechanically too.

Edited by escape, 23 April 2014 - 10:45 PM.

#4 Akoni

Akoni

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:15 AM

I've been using Canon 10-22, Sigma 8-16mm.
You really need big dome (at least 9 inch) for these rectilinear lenses, I tried it 6~7inch dome (with / without diopter) but really bad corner.
Sigma at 8mm is nice, it's wide, sharp, good contrast but sometime ugly light fall-off at corner if aperture is wider than f/8.
IMHO, 10-22mm is much better, specially zoom range (15-22mm) and mechanically too.

So the 200mm Zen and the Sigma 10-20 with +2 diopter will not work well?

I am hoping to stick with the 200mm vs having to get a 230mm. I need to figure out what port extension to use as well.

#5 pooley

pooley

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:52 AM

I'd say an important consideration is thinking which shots you intend to use this new lens for. If it's the wrecks then you'll want the bigger dome, as you'll need the sharpest corners possible. 

However, if you'll use the tokina for the wrecks, and the rectillinear for fish, then most of the time you'll be looking at either blue water corners  or out of focus reef, in which case the 200mm will probably suffice

#6 escape

escape

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:56 PM

So the 200mm Zen and the Sigma 10-20 with +2 diopter will not work well?

I am hoping to stick with the 200mm vs having to get a 230mm. I need to figure out what port extension to use as well.

I'm using Canon 10-22mm and Sigma 8-16mm behind Nauticam 9inch (Zen) dome with 50mm extension.

#7 gargar

gargar

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:24 PM

I shot a canon t4i, ikelite housing, sigma 10-20mm behind 8" dome.  I was extremely impressed with corner sharpness and overall lens performance.  I will try to share an uncropped/unedited shot with it.

#8 chile

chile

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:21 AM

just picked up the ike housing for the SL1/100D...gonna try out my tokina 10-17 with the dome here in the next few days.  ike says there is some vignetting from 10-12mm (if I recall correctly) so we'll see.

#9 escape

escape

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:34 PM

Canon just announced EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, cheaper then old 10-22mm, Closest Focusing Distance is 22cm.

#10 njcfm

njcfm

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:49 AM

Canon just announced EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, cheaper then old 10-22mm, Closest Focusing Distance is 22cm.

will pick this one up.. $299, just need to figure out which port and zoom gear will work. 

On the rock that is Bermuda, if anyone is visiting let me know