3 replies to this topic

#1 Glasseye Snapper

Glasseye Snapper

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Interests:Fish ID & behaviour and photos thereof

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:20 PM

I could not find any treads on this relatively new Olympus prime lens, but it is worth considering for its wide aperture, useful focal length and close focus (25cm, compared to 30cm for the 25mm prime from Panasonic/Leica).

On my old Canon DLSR, most shots used the 100mm macro, 35mm F2, and 60mm macro, in that order. My new Oly EM-5 has a 60mm macro that is equivalent to 80mm on APS-C, neatly in between and replacing the two canon macro lenses. So it made sense to get the Oly 25mm f1.8 as the equivalent of the canon 35 f2. On the Ikelite Canon housing I used a different port for the 35mm. Fortunately, the Oly 25mm is perfectly happy in the Nauticam 60mm macro port with no vignetting. Obviously there is a lot of air space between lens and port but every extra cm of air is one cm less water so I am not complaining. The 12-50mm kit lens, again in the same port, rounds out the set for now and has to do duty for WA and big fish.

A week from now I should have the first UW pics from it.

Bart

Olympus OM-D EM5/Nauticam, 12-50mm & 60mm macro
Sea&Sea 110a, iTorch, GoPro3 BE

#2 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1050 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:20 AM

Keep in mind that the 25mm will sit way back in the port V. the 60 macro and that distance is subtracted from your 25cm close focus distance. I would like to try this lens behind my ZEN 100mm dome or the Nauticam 4.33 dome.

#3 Nautilus Cairns

Nautilus Cairns

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:10 PM

I've decided to get the pany 8mm fisheye and Nauticam 3.5 semi-dome for my NA-EM5. Wonder if the 25mm would work in the Nauticam 3.5 inch as well? I was interested in the 25mm as a fast top side lens.

OMD E-M5. Nauticam NA-EM5. Inon S2000 strobes. Oly 12-50mm and 60mm macro lenses.

#4 Glasseye Snapper

Glasseye Snapper

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Interests:Fish ID & behaviour and photos thereof

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:26 PM

Keep in mind that the 25mm will sit way back in the port V. the 60 macro and that distance is subtracted from your 25cm close focus distance. I would like to try this lens behind my ZEN 100mm dome or the Nauticam 4.33 dome.

The 60mm macro is listed as 82mm long, the 25mm as 42mm. So 4cm of extra air is added to the few mm of space separating the 60mm from the port glass. However, I don't consider that to be subtracted from the close focus distance. It will still focus on a subject 25cm from the sensor. The only thing is the port will get 4cm closer to the subject than necessary. I don't see that as a big disadvantage, at least not big enough to get a separate port for. I always think that 90% of what scares a fish is the big hulking body behind the camera, especially if it is spewing noisy streams of bubbles. 

Olympus OM-D EM5/Nauticam, 12-50mm & 60mm macro
Sea&Sea 110a, iTorch, GoPro3 BE