• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 08:31 PM

My wife got second place in EPIC2005, im so proud :D I was a finalist, didnt place unfortunately. Next time. I saw some other wetpixelians but didnt see many in the winners section :)

Cor

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I too made the list but not the final cut. :)

Congrats to your wife. If it is the nudi shot it is a very deserving win.

I wish they would not lump us digital folks all into one category next year too. :o
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#22 Kasey

Kasey

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 03:23 AM

No, I never did. I bought more mailers and have been sending them out as I go. My D2x housing should be here any day now - at least I'll have some images to work on while my slide are being processed,
Seacam F100;D2x; 60mm;105mm;16mm;17-35; 10.5mm;12-24mm
Sea & Sea strobes
www.underthecaribbean.com

#23 bella

bella

Wolf Eel

• Critter Expert
  • 139 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 06:03 AM

Kasey, thanks for the compliment. Can't wait to see some of your pics with your D2X. You think you'll have it before you head to Indonesia? I'm hoping you do, I'd like to see an in person comparison of similar areas and creatures between the D2X and slide.
In any case, hope you have a great time.

(sorry to hijack the thread)
-julie edwards

#24 andy_aj

andy_aj

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 11:00 PM

To any other EPIC 2005 winners:-

I 've just seen that I have placed second in the digital category :D
But I have received no communication from EPIC about this and it looks as if they were chosen a few weeks ago now - has anyone been notified that they were winners and prizes etc. or is it just me ? I have emailed direct but no reply so far.....

thanks in advance,
Andy

#25 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 12:27 AM

We werent notified either, but when we mailed for a different matter they responded quickly and also told us that 'letters would go out shortly'. The winners were announced May 26th, so thats not that long ago.

Cor
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#26 Andy H

Andy H

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 10:12 PM

Hi,
I've had no response to any emails from EPIC - has anyone received details of prizes etc?
I'm rapidly losing confidence in EPIC based on this experience.

Thanks for any feedback of iy anyone has additional contact details??
Andy

#27 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 16 July 2005 - 10:32 PM

EPIC is notorious for not being responsive. It took a months for me to hear back from them -- and I even had to discover that I had placed by hearing about it on the boards here. No official notice!

I'll direct the EPIC folks to this thread.
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#28 Andy H

Andy H

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 04:10 AM

Thanks Eric.
PS. Sorry for all the typos in my last post!

#29 Andy H

Andy H

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 04:35 AM

I just heard from EPIC, along with a copy of the winners letter.

Now, I must admit to being somewhat disappointed as the letter states that the second place that I acheived receives a trophy - and nothing else.

Without wishing to sound ungrateful, I expected to receive some form of retail prize?? The website doesn't list any prize allocations, but the list of sponsors goes well beyond just a few first place prizes.

If I were aware of this in the first place I would not have entered with the same images, or with duplicate slides that were not going to be returned, or possibly not entered at all and saved my money.

I have expressed these feelings in an email to EPIC and have yet to receive any response. I don't expect anything to come from this obviously, but to any potential entrants to this competition, be aware of the 'prizes' involved. I don't think that I'll be entering again.

I also wonder if it's deliberate that the prizes are kept 'obscure'?

Any comments?

Andy

#30 bela

bela

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Underwater Photography since 1965

Posted 20 August 2005 - 02:35 AM

Already more than 3 months have passed after the EPIC winners 2005 have been published on the website.

I find there are several other photographers (e.g. Andy from UK, Julie from Holland) in similar situation with whom EPIC is not proceeding in a fair play. I have a second and two third places and haven't got even a notifying letter so far not to speak of prize of trophy.

Dear Richard & Gayle Todd (the founders of EPIC), is that all the photographers participating in the competition do deserve?

Bela

#31 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 10:47 PM

Does anyone have any idea what has happened to EPIC in 2005?

We finally, after asking again whats going on, got a reply on Julie's (my wife) second place in macro slides. She has won basically nothing. Ok ok, a trophy, most likely made in china.

This isnt such a big deal. No problem. But what puzzles me is that EPIC boasted a huge list of sponsors. And it has always had a good set of prices. Something seems to have happened to change EPIC drastically. Did the sponsors pull out? Is there too much competition from other contests? Werent there enough entries? If we had known beforehand that only first price winners get any sort of price (and this is a huge assumption, cause I havent spoken to any first place winners) we probably wouldnt have entered.

So, does anyone know what's going on?

Regards,

Cor
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#32 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 01:12 AM

I hope Richard and Gayle do something about this for 2006. You all deserve an apology, too.
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#33 Andy H

Andy H

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 04:50 AM

FYI I did receive a reply from EPIC after expressing my feelings directly to them. I've been meaning to post it here for some time but typically, it doesn't appear that I can find it (having recently lost all of my email archives which I think was it was part of). If I can, I will do that. However, the gist of the response was that this is the way the competition has always been run and prizes allocated. However, they are aiming to improve 'communication' for this forthcoming year. They also stated that trophies cost $100 (??!!) and would be in the post soon. But that reply was nearly two months ago now!

I can't add any more to what I've expressed in my previous posts, but I still feel somewhat ripped off, as it would seem do a few others.

I hope that the situation improves and that nobody else gets dissappointed in this manner.

Best of luck in future comps!

Andy

#34 randapex

randapex

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 04:22 PM

I'm not sure if the "Trophy's" are the same year to year, but what I recieved last year is very nice. It's really a plaque with a nice reproduction of my photo somehow set into the plaque and then covered with a hard, clear plastic coating.
And nice printing on it for the place and so forth.
My regular prize was a fairly inexpensive photo editing program. But, in the end, I can see the plaque everyday and only dream of the dive trips so, it's not a bad prize.

Rand
Rand McMeins
Nikon D2X. Subal ND2. 2 Inon Z220S

Greenwaterimages

#35 mrbubbles

mrbubbles

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Interests:medical doctor and wanabe photographer

Posted 08 September 2005 - 04:58 PM

i got a 2nd in macro slides 2 or 3 years ago. i heard from them prior to the anouncment, and recieved a trip prize good for a year promptly. Even though i had a good experience now im warry of participating <_<

#36 sugarcube

sugarcube

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:28 PM

What ever happened with EPIC 2005? I'm one of the winners, but have never been formally notified, and my multiple emails have gone unanswered. Very Mysterious...and even illegal.

#37 rschrager

rschrager

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 06:44 AM

I'm also one of the winners. It took a bit of time, but they contacted me, sent me my prize voucher and last week I received a very nice plaque.

#38 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 10:07 AM

Merging with existing thread...
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#39 sugarcube

sugarcube

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 11:29 AM

Yes, I finally received my plaque as well, but it's clear that the "sponsors" posted on the web sit are nothing but smoke and mirrors this year. Please! I fell tricked and ripped off. EPIC can no longer be taken seriously.

#40 underh2o

underh2o

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 02:12 PM

I won the Best of Show and my first notification from EPIC was a few weeks ago when I received a nice plaque in the mail. I thought that I was out of luck on any other prize until two days ago when I received an email from EPIC stating that my prize was a 7 night trip aboard the Bilikiki in the Solomon Islands. Bilikiki Cruises staff has also contacted me. It took a while but I am happy. Thanks to Bilikiki Cruises for being a sponsor of EPIC ( http://www.bilikiki.com/ ).

I am wondering if there is going to be an EPIC next year. Is the recently announced Wetpixel / DivePhotoGuide.com contest going to replace EPIC? They are both tied to the Our World Underwater show. I can't imagine them having two photo contests.