• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:44 PM

Just returned from Cozumel attending the Digital Fiesta Underwater Photography event. These are the result I got from my little Panasonic LX-7, one Sea & Sea YS-D1 and the Opteka 67mm .4X fisheye lens (it's a land lens but works very well underwater)

Moses_blowfish01.jpg

Moses_cenote01.jpg

Moses_ray.jpg

Moses_reef01.jpg

Moses_turtle01.jpg

Moses_wreck04.jpg

Moses

#2 Michel Braunstein

Michel Braunstein

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:37 AM

Great shots! The wreck deserves some morecontrast, it'll look much better, this can be easily corrected.

#3 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:07 AM

Well done indeed. The LX7 is a great little camera. On the lens side did you attach that outside the housing? It looks rectilinear as the Nauticam wetmate

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#4 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:19 AM

Thanks Michael, I'm being lazy and don't want to mess with Lightroom too much as this point.

Interceptor121, yes I attached the Opteka lens like a wet lens, it's huge but flat, the rear element is almost 67mm so it works well with 24mm camera. It's a 0.4X fisheye on land, I suspect it's slightly wider than the Nauticam Wetmate. I tried to figure that out at the pool but my local pool do not have tile wall for me to count. I'm tempted to get a .3x Opteka ultra fisheye, but I think I will not keep the LX-7 for long as I might be ready for the Panasonic GH4. I won't have another dive trip until March 2015 so I will have lots of time to shop around especially when new cameras come out later this year.

#5 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1050 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:08 AM

Nice images Moses, had a great time teaching the workshops and hope to see you in West Palm at some point...keep shooting.

Phil

#6 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:14 AM

Thanks Phill, great to meet you and attending your workshop. Will definitely hit Blue Heron Bridge later this year and pick your brain before heading out to Anilao next March. It's just a matter of whether I will be using a new rig or the same LX-7.

#7 guzy

guzy

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:37 PM

HI Moses, what a nice shoot for an alternative dry-lens. How do you keep that lens waterproof?

my picture collection: www.flickr.com/photos/aguswidodo

#8 pubert

pubert

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:27 AM

nice shots Moses!

i also tried an Opteka fisheye land lens... but i wasn't as successful as you. 

10540550_10201659655968076_6603852005119

Edited by pubert, 05 August 2014 - 04:28 AM.

#9 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:45 AM

guzy, the 0.4x lens I used is just one piece and tightly seal lens so it hold up and doesn't flood, that lens is getting difficult to find:

http://opteka.com/OPT4XPF.aspx

pubert, your lens will not work, this is because your lens can be taken apart, and use the bottom part like a macro/diopter. What you should try is this one, which is just one lens with manufacturer sealed to make it only 0.3x. 

http://opteka.com/OPTSCFE.aspx

The 0.3x do not have 67mm version. I don't know if you get a 72mm and step down to 67mm, would you get a chromatic aberration or not.

The 0.3x is 180 degree, factor that once in the water, it becomes 126 degree, it's a good angle without making things become fish eye distortion, but the question is what's the quality.