• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 02:32 AM

I have a Sony RX100 that I use for video. When there is too much light the camera (that has not ND filter built in) starts raising the shutter speed and the outcome is a somewhat strobic footage.

For outdoor I have a filter with a variable ND control that I can change to keep the same shutter speed but I have not managed to find a solution underwater and for the boat rides (other than getting an M67 filter that will corrode and get ruined very quickly)

The camera goes to max f11 so I believe this is an issue that can be avoided with SLR but I have yet to find a solution

Has anybody experienced a similar problem?

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#2 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:37 AM

I thought you're shooting shutter priority? I have came to appreciate the ND filter of the LX-7 that it would be hard to replace it with another point and shoot, so my next replacement would be a m4/3.

For boat ride, I generally have a separate camera to get the job done so that I don't have to lift the heavy UW rig while it still have droplet of water on the lens and trying to shoot video of dolphin swimming along the boat. You might want to look into Panasonic TZ60 since it has long zoom, 5-axis and shoot raw picture. Unless you want to bring your Nikon dSLR into the boat.

#3 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:37 AM

It was not for the boat ride but for shots in really shallow water or snorkelling. I miss that ND button

Don't haste replacing the LX7 with a 4:3 you will be disappointed in video terms by most of them

I do have the Nikon but not bringing it into tenders!!!

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#4 Stuart Keasley

Stuart Keasley

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:48 PM

If you're at F11 with your ISO as low as possible then there's not much else you can do. Exposing to the right (I.e allowing the histogram to push to the right end of the chart instead of going with "correct" exposure) may gain you a couple of stops, but beyond that you'd need to be adding in ND filters somehow.
Visit bottlefish.net for my personal web site.
Visit Black Flag TV Ltd if you'd like to hire me or any of our cameras.

#5 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:37 AM

The only thing left to try is some gel filter on top of the lens. It will probably fly off. Or alternatively a 67mm filter on the housing port but then have to remove it at depth

I don't think it will be a bit problem in galapagos though

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog