• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sameguy

sameguy

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:51 AM

I've been out of the UW shooting world for a LONG time.  I've got an old IKE Substrobe 150 that I used a lifetime ago with my Nikonos III and 5 when that was state of the art.

I just picked up an Aquatica housing for my old 5D for a song, nice 8" port, macro, ext. rings etc.  I can use my IKE manually which is fine, but I'd like to pick up another strobe for macro fill for a trip to Caymans next month.  I was looking at an old Nikonos SB105 but I know that is old tech and really has no future and I hate wasting $, even though you can get one SUPER cheap these days. Inon, Sea and Sea, newer Ikelite gear is all foreign to me.  Does anyone have suggestions for something I can use for slave strobe now and TTL in the future, or should I just grab an old strobe with slave capability and be happy saving a few $? 

#2 errbrr

errbrr

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 04:26 PM

The substrobes are great strobes - I started with them after pinching them from my Dad's Nik V setup. As are the SB105s which I have used slaved. You may find with immediate digital review underwater that TTL is less important than it used to be and manual shooting is the way to go.

#3 Mark K

Mark K

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:42 PM

errberrb...thank you for sharing

Mark K

A clown fish finding its way home