Photo
- - - - -

July Warm Water Diving Suggestions Wanted!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Overexposed Seahorse

Overexposed Seahorse

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:48 AM

Hi,

I am currently looking for opinions on where to go this July for some warm water diving!

I am based in the UK, so am considering places between the Indian Ocean and Caribbean, places like Indonesia/Australia are a little too far in the time I have. The Red Sea is superb, although I go every April, so I'm looking for somewhere different.

The places that are currently on the shortlist are:

1. Cozumel

2. Cayman Islands

3. Bonaire

4. Maldives

I am mostly interested in good photographic opportunities (especially wide angle), and good coral and fish life for nice diving, rather than wrecks.

If anyone has any thoughts on these places, or has any other suggestions then I would be delighted to hear!!

Thanks!!

#2 edpdiver

edpdiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:57 AM

I have never been to the Maldives, but I have heard that they are great. With respect to your Caribbean destinations, I would rank Little Cayman first. The Bloody Bay Wall on the north side of the island has the best Caribbean diving I have seen. I would rank Cozumel and the east end of Grand Cayman slightly below that.  All of these areas have healthy reefs, wonderful topography, and great wide angle photo opportunities.

Erwin

Erwin Poliakoff, Baton Rouge, Louisiana USA
Nikon D7000, Tokina 10-17 zoom, Nikkor 60mm, 85mm, 105mm macros
Nauticam NA-D7000V housing, Two Inon Z240 strobes

http://www.flickr.co...poliakoff/sets/

#3 jmauricio

jmauricio

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:40 AM

July is a great time for whale sharks near cozumel.

Bonaire is excellent and so accessible. You will feel like you are on a live aboard. but is more mixed shooting. wide angle and macro

no comment on little or grand cayman

#4 edpdiver

edpdiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:10 AM

I agree that Bonaire diving is very good. I definitely rank Little Cayman as better (my opinion, obviously). The wall and the topography are really special.

Erwin Poliakoff, Baton Rouge, Louisiana USA
Nikon D7000, Tokina 10-17 zoom, Nikkor 60mm, 85mm, 105mm macros
Nauticam NA-D7000V housing, Two Inon Z240 strobes

http://www.flickr.co...poliakoff/sets/

#5 Richard65

Richard65

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:26 AM

I live in the Cayman Islands and am biased :) but I doubt you will be disappointed if you come out here. Definately Little Cayman is top noth and Bloody Bay Wall fantastic. Diving on Grand Cayman and Cayman Brac is great, you can choose a mix of shore and boat dives, wall or shallow dives, coral or wreak dives etc. It all depends on what you like to see.By the way hopefully the silversides will be in town in July and they are not to be missed. 

I am happy to supply more information on the options that exist if you want it

#6 bear35

bear35

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:40 AM

The Maldives would be my choice, sounds exactly what you have asked for…. Mantas,lots of reefs/fish possible whaleshark, what more can you ask?? 

Are you looking for live aboard or resort?