24 replies to this topic

#21 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:04 AM

If you are making prints that are 750mm X 1000mm then you are making prints that have a 4:3 aspect ratio which is full frame for the M43 format. With the ASP-C 3:2 aspect ratio you will be cutting something off of your image or you will not be using the full paper size. As a result you will reduce resolution by cutting off part of the total image area in effect making your image less than a 24MP image with a 24MP APS-C sensor camera. This is why medium format cameras use the 4:3 aspect ratio. Most print materials like magazines are much closer to the 4:3 format than they are to the 3:2 aspect ration. Being able to print closer to full frame is one of the upsides to the 4:3 format. I know that you can get parer in the 3:2 ratio to print with, finding frames in these sizes is more difficult.

#22 Mark K

Mark K

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:27 PM

I have a number of Nex cameras from Nex5, Nex5n, Nex3n, Nex5r and Nex6. I have briefly used EM5 and A6000. The focusing speed of A6000 is faster the EM5 and on par that of EM1. If you start from nothing, then EM1 is a better choice for better IBIS, better range of lenses available, and larger buffer in  terms of number of RAW files taken.

I cannot speak for the print image quality but A6000 has a larger sensor size, newer design should have an impact on IQ, especially those printed at large size.

You can also look into A7 which is a full frame camera in  the price range of EM1. The printed quality should be much much better

Mark K

A clown fish finding its way home

#23 paratom

paratom

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:29 PM

As someone using different sensor formats (m43, APS-C,FF and sometimes even larger) and my experience on land I would say there is some difference in IQ between the different sensor formats. The larger the sensor the smoother the images do look IMO (tonality). They also seem to have more "depth" (whatever that is) The smaller the sensor the more important it is to really nail exposure in the first step/the less flexible the files are for any post processing and exp compensation in post can produce noise and ugly colors.

Dynamic range is another factor even though I find m43 surprizingly good in this regards.

Of course one of the big difference between different sized sensor is DOF for same f-stops, and while on land I can see subjects where shallow DOF is nice (advantage of bigger sensors), I would think under water more often large/deep DOF is needed (advantage for smaller sensor).

The other thing is user interface, the EM1 has many functions with direct and easy access. Thats nice (even though overall I find the camera a little overloaded which can be confusing).

#24 Mark K

Mark K

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:50 PM

hey 

i'm new here and i would like to purchase a underwater photo equipment and i need some advice. so far i was thinking of getting a olympus om-d e-m1 with a nauticam housing. the only thing i dont like about it is the sensor size and the fact that there will most likely never be a olympus with a larger sensor. well maybe some time but not in the near future and i dont want to invest in equipment i can hardly upgrade and still use the lenses

so there is sony which also seems to be interesting, especially the Sony A6000. i know there are no housings for this camera yet but i think this is just a matter of months. what do you think? the A7r or some successor would then be the camera for the future and i still could use the e-mount lenses.

these are my major thoughts till now. so my question(s). what speaks for sony what for olympus? does anyone have one of the mentioned cameras and has some experience? any comparaisons?

I have been using Nex camers ever since its birth...so far having 6 bodies actively using. I brought Nex 5n and Nex 5r down under water, using an inexpensive housing from Meikon for Nex5n and affordable housing from 10Bar for Nex 5r. I have most of the available lenses for Nex mounts, ranging from kit lenses to 18-200 as zooms and also primes from both Sony and Zeiss.

Having said that, it appears you do not have extensive underwater shooting experience. With some 300 logs, I am still struggling to take a good one. I learnt from here and other that the most important issue in having good image underwater is good buoyancy control.

As for housing you can choose from

1. Inexpensive housings made in China under different names of Meikon, Meike, Polaroid etc etc. These housings selling at in incredible price, the price of a filter... Here is the link http://www.meikon.cc...classid=&id=872

They are good for: being very affordable, good quality, proven waterproof up to 40M.

However there are a number of drawbacks: 1. buttons not working under 19M, which was the greatest depth after I returned my older housings in exchange of newer designs. 2. Lack of zooming 3. Previously 67mm filter thread removed 4. Designed fault that the housings can be closed even with a spring button clamped inbetween, which lead to the flooding of my first 5n. 5. Very slow to market...currently the latest housings are for Nex6 which was discontinued recently.

2. Nauticam: if you can afford one, there is no doubt in both handling and quality and necessary accessories. To my knowledge, this is the only company providing A6000 housing at this moment.

3. 10Bar: I have been using this for my Nex5n. Very robust and inexpensive. However, the company does not produce any more Nex housings after Nex5t.

4. Ekelite: probably the best buy for the money. They manufacture big and huge transparent housings for all popular camera models at reasonable price. The drawback is the weight and bulkiness.

As for lens, if you are not too serious about image quality, the 16-50 kit lens is an OK option. For your purpose, the 16-70 Zeiss zoom offers the best possible solution with good magnification rate, small size and incredible quality. With an addon close up filter lens like offers from Subsee or Inon, you can do good macros as well. I will never recommend a lens like 18-200 to be used underwater. One of the drawbacks is painfully slow AF. An alternative is the 18-105 F4. I actually bought this one but it does not fit my port......with the same size as 18-200.

Generally we use prime lens for diving, say a dedicated macro lens like Sony 30/f3.5 or fisheye like Zeiss 12f2.8

Mark K

#25 Mark K

Mark K

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:56 PM

As someone using different sensor formats (m43, APS-C,FF and sometimes even larger) and my experience on land I would say there is some difference in IQ between the different sensor formats. The larger the sensor the smoother the images do look IMO (tonality). They also seem to have more "depth" (whatever that is) The smaller the sensor the more important it is to really nail exposure in the first step/the less flexible the files are for any post processing and exp compensation in post can produce noise and ugly colors.

Dynamic range is another factor even though I find m43 surprizingly good in this regards.

Of course one of the big difference between different sized sensor is DOF for same f-stops, and while on land I can see subjects where shallow DOF is nice (advantage of bigger sensors), I would think under water more often large/deep DOF is needed (advantage for smaller sensor).

The other thing is user interface, the EM1 has many functions with direct and easy access. Thats nice (even though overall I find the camera a little overloaded which can be confusing).

EM1 should be the best one. 

Mark K