Stuart Keasley

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:34 PM

Crossed posted from another forum

"Message from Aquatic Alliance Facebook page:
DARK DAYS
We would like to thank our friend Dr. Lydie Courturier for going to Tanjung Luar and exposing the fact that they are still killing mantas there. If you remember, earlier this year manta rays were protected throughout the country making Indonesia supposedly the worlds largest manta sanctuary. These gutted and mutilated mantas dont look like they are getting much protection, do they? Evidently, the day before they had an even larger catch. Looks like business as usual.

Tanjung Luar is well known by the local, regional, and national governments as a very aggressive manta and shark fishery. I think we can pretty much speak for every manta conservation organization on the planet when I say were shocked that this was not one of the first places monitored and investigated for illegal catch.

Laws are nothing but ink on paper unless they are enforced.

Weve contacted everyone we know to get an ID match with these photos. If anyone out there can match the spots on the undersides of these mantas with any you might have, please contact us. Even if you are not sure, well be happy to take a look. For more info on identifying individual manta rays check out our website: www.aquaticalliance.org

If you want to make a difference please go to the East Lombok Regency page and leave a nice message in their guestbook: http://lomboktimurka...stbook&mod=yes"
Visit bottlefish.net for my personal web site.
Visit Black Flag TV Ltd if you'd like to hire me or any of our cameras.