• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts

Posted 19 July 2002 - 10:15 AM

I'll post a picture of the piece in question when I get home. With the Ike housing, I've noticed that the internal flash is not blocked entirely so I occasionally ended up with a small "hot spot" where the flash "leaked out" around the blocker in certain situations. For my Ike housing, which has a big enough lens port to interfere with the internal flash occasionally anyway, I'm thinking of using some electrical tape or paint or something to mask the flash better. Since the Oly housing works really well with just the internal strobe, I probably wouldn't do anything too permanent to mask the flash if I had the Ikelite blocker thingy . . .

Mike

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.

#22 kdietz

kdietz

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 19 July 2002 - 11:22 AM

go to www.jaytreat.com...........great site for Olympus owners...............go to Jay's digital setup and look for modifications to Ikelite housing.......good ideas!

Karl
Karl Dietz...Nikon D200...Ikelite iTTL housing...10.5mm...15mm FE...12-24mm...17-35mm...60mm micro...105mm micro...dual DS-200's
www.kdietz.com

#23 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts

Posted 19 July 2002 - 04:34 PM

The housing comes with both a diffuser and a flash blocker (installed).

Mike Oelrich

#24 Ernie

Ernie

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 July 2002 - 06:51 PM

Thanks for the info and pictures. The flash diverter comes with the Ike housing and not the strobe package. The guy at Ikelite seems reluctant to sell it separately for the Oly housing. It looks simple enough to fab something myself if necessary. I thought it needed to divert light directly to the sensor but it seems like it simply blocks the internal strobe and the sensor is sensitive enough to trigger off of the residual light that splashes out.

#25 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts

Posted 20 July 2002 - 06:45 AM

The newer sensors come with a pretty long cord (about 22"). With my 5"+8" ULCS arm (plus 8" or so in clamp length), I can mount the sensor on top of the housing and still put the strobe out far enough. With the strobe right on top of the housing, it can't miss the internal flash.

Mike Oelrich