• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 niewoo

niewoo

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:24 PM

Hello, I've been shooting with the Nikkor 60mm ED f2.8 lens for several years now with a Nikon D200. Images are great when I get it right, but the biggest issue is camera shake in current. I have a Subal housing and the negative buoyancy means I put a few of the foam floats on the strobe arm to keep somewhat reasonably negative, but means any current throws the rig around a bit. I'm looking to see if there's a VR version that would work and there isn't a direct replacement. The closest seems to be the 85mm DX f3.5 lens. The 1/2f-stop loss doesn't seem too concerning given the VR, but it loses 8deg of angle (DX) and adds 10mm which means I need a new port or need to add and extender. So question is it worth it?

Thanks,

Nick.

#2 CamelToad

CamelToad

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:51 AM

I haven't noticed an issue with my 60/2.8D in current or surge that VR would fix...what shutter speed and other settings do you typically use?  Shooting in manual?

I have the 105VR micro, which is a fantastic lens. I used it more than my 60 on a fairly recent trip to Lembeh. 

-James

My Flikr 

#3 TimG

TimG

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • Location:Paris or Helmand, Afghanistan (yes, agreed, not much difference)
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm water, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:48 PM

I wouldn't have thought this an issue with the lens - or that VR would help. I've been using the Nikkor 60mm for about 14 years on D100s, D200s, D300s and now the D800 in Subal housings. No consistent camera shake issues. Same with the Nikkor 105mm - and I never switch on the VR.

Sounds more like a shooting speed issue, Nick. What shutter speed are you using?

Tim

(former Dive Manager KBR - Lembeh Straits)
www. timsimages.uk

#4 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:28 PM

Can't see VR assisting with camera wobble caused by water movement. Shooting Macro in a current situation certainly isn't ideal. When

I have been shooting in areas with surge or mild current the main issue has been getting focus lock.

Do you have any images to show what the issues you are having are resulting in. As Tim mentioned higher shutter speeds should freeze

the subject.

Cheers,

Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#5 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:14 AM

I do think you are having a vibration problem.  I think it is a focus problem, the D200 is not able to focus precisely with the movement of camera and subject in the current.  I remember having problems with blurred exposures when I was shooting a D200 from movement.  

Elmer

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#6 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, Cave diving, Trimix, Spearfishing, Saltwater fishing, Freshwater fishing, Skiing

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:41 AM

What shutter speed are you using?

#7 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:11 AM

Second on the shutter speed.

Unless you are trying for background light raise your shutter speed above 125 min

Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.