• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Plyschmannen

Plyschmannen

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:43 AM

I just saw that a new WA lens has been announced ( http://www.canonrumo...tal-slr-camera/ ) . I'm currently looking for a setup for my 5dmkIII. Having sold my ikelite setup, I'm starting fresh, and considering lenses and ports. Have initially been thinking about a Nauticam, and then buy the Canon 8-15 to use. However, this being a fullframe camera, that would go from circular crazy wide to wide. Unless your shooting whale sharks, Im thinking that might not be the ideal lens. I was in Coccos last year, and looking back at my shots and my gopro shots, extreamly few times did I wish for wider shots. More tele on the other hand...

I have already the Sigma 15FE and Canons 16-35 f/2.8 II, but I also read up that you need a very big dome to get good corner sharpnes, and preferly a 82mm +2 diopter. I'm using the 16-35 for other things (indoor concerts) so I'm not getting rid of it, but if this new lens, for a quite decent price, could outmatch the 2.8 version, and possible let me use a smaller dome, it would be something to consider.

Does anyone have a guess on what dome it would perform best in, and how small you possible could go? I'm doing all my diving traveling, and a dome take up very much space in the carry-on. And thinking of going with glas, does add quite a bit of weight.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

/Björn

#2 pKai

pKai

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:45 AM

I too am interested in this lens from an IQ perspective.  I'm happy with the 2.8 II version, but if this is significantly better, I may be interested.

That said, dome requirements won't change from one to the other.  The 9-ish inch domes will still be optimal since this is something that has more to do with the FL at the wide end than it does with the max F-stop.

Dimension-wise, these two are pretty similar; the F4 is a bit skinnier but about the same length, so port extensions may even be the same.

I can't wait for someone to do a comparison review underwater......   I'm certainly not spending money until then.... although from the topside reviews I've read, if I had neither lens today, I would get the F4 version..... Unless one absolutely needs 2.8 (topside), I believe the IS and lower price makes the F4 the better choice.

Edited by m1mm1m, 09 July 2014 - 08:48 AM.

#3 Cp

Cp

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:28 AM

I'm going to borrow the 16-35 f/4 from Ryan next week for shooting whalesharks. I have an f/2.8 which I just got last year. I might have waited had I know this lens was coming. Oh well, I like the f/2.8. 

Björn, I think the 8-15mm is a great lens on FF, but yes, you do have to kind of think of it as a 15mm FF fisheye, with the occasional 8mm circular fisheye shot. Very good for CFWA; some people like to use a 1.4x teleconverter for CFWA with it. 

I'll try to post a couple of pics next week with 16-35 f/4. 

Cheers,

Cp

P.S. m1mm1m... nice avatar! I recognize that shot :)

Chris Parsons
Nauticam USA / Zen Underwater
innovation at nauticamusa
www.nauticamusa.com
954-489-8678

#4 pKai

pKai

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:08 PM

P.S. m1mm1m... nice avatar! I recognize that shot :)

Yea, Chris... nice shot...... and I look forward to your thoughts on that lens.....   I remember freezing my arse off that weekend!    If I'm seen diving with a hood, the water is freezing.... LOL...

#5 Cp

Cp

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:17 PM

Yea, Chris... nice shot...... and I look forward to your thoughts on that lens.....   I remember freezing my arse off that weekend!    If I'm seen diving with a hood, the water is freezing.... LOL...

I recall the water being a little chilly, but wasn't it wicked cold topside too?

Chris Parsons
Nauticam USA / Zen Underwater
innovation at nauticamusa
www.nauticamusa.com
954-489-8678

#6 pKai

pKai

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:58 AM

I recall the water being a little chilly, but wasn't it wicked cold topside too?

LOL....  Both.... but yes, the air temp in the 40s cut like razor blades when we came out....

#7 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:41 PM

I got the lens but the weather has turned nasty, over 2" (5 cm) of rain in the last 24 hours. The good news for me is that adult salmon should be up in some streams once the water starts to recede. I took advantage of a short break, only misting but still blustery (now is pouring again,) and shot in this stream that is only about 1 mile from where I live. Really too shallow for testing but I did these close-ups anyway. Two shots from same spot were at 15 and 31mm focal lengths. There is a tiny salmon fry in each shot - I did not see it when I was doing the shooting. The shot of my watch (@16mm) is even shallower - it is possible to see in focus behind watch to left and right of it due to field curvature.

This test was done with the Seacam wideport. The  housing was on the stream bottom. It was not very submerged even though a small diameter port. I used a 55mm port extension tube a.k.a. PVL. Shots done at f/8 with ISO 1600 in aperture priority. I used the zoom gear for the 17-40 lens; it required some stretching.

Attached Images

• _G7G0888.jpg
  • _G7G0833.jpg
  • _G7G0817.jpg

Edited by Tom_Kline, 11 July 2014 - 02:51 PM.

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.
www.flickr.com/photos/tomkline/

#8 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:32 PM

The storm cleared and the precip led salmon up to the spawning area where I like to shoot. Got in these shots of Sockeye Salmon spawning yesterday evening. One pic shows the full frame while the other is a blow of the right side. The gravel in front of the male on the right end of the bunch is not sharp but is sharper in the background showing the curvature of field from the dome port.

I used the Seacam Superdome with 55mm of port extension. 16mm focal length, aperture = f/9. Results look good thus far.

Attached Images

• _G7G1436.jpg
  • _G7G1436-2.jpg

Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.

#9 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:46 PM

Here is another image treated similarly from earlier in the day when more ambient light was present. The blowup in this case is on the left. The teeth of the male are critically sharp (blowup) but the scale pattern gradually gets soft going towards the left edge, but not all that bad. Also at f/9. I left the camera settings the same all day but did tilt the housing down a bit as it became apparent where the redd was (so the focusing oval would be on it) - I checked the battery level of the strobe (Seacam 250D) when I did this!

Attached Images

• _G7G1231.jpg
  • _G7G1231-2.jpg

Oceanography & Limnology

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Canon, WA