13 replies to this topic

#1 xcetra

xcetra

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:44 PM

Hi,

I have a Nauticam macro port 65 that I've been using for a year for the Nauticam OM-D E-M5 housing.

I've just noticed there seems to be water drop stain marks on the port glass.  I've tried cleaning these out with soapy water, lens cleaner, and water/vinegar but none seem to help.

I don't think this glass is coated.

Anyone have a solution to get these stubborn stains out of the glass?  Polishing with a glass polisher work?

Also, I'm pretty sure these marks are on the outside of the glass port.

Regards,

Jason

I've attached photos of the marks.  Saltwater stains?

Attached Images

• 20140517_r01_f0004_01.jpg
  • 20140517_r01_f0003_01.jpg

Edited by xcetra, 17 May 2014 - 08:17 AM.

#2 thetrickster

thetrickster

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:14 AM

Normal house window glass cleaner? I've used that previously on a glass dome. Worked for me. But for some coatings it might be too strong. Not sure. Tried glasses wet wipes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards, Richard

---

GH4, Ninja2, 8mm, 7-14mm, 12-35mm, 14-42mm PZ, 60mm - all in a Nauticam wrapping, plus a couple of Keldan Video 8M CRI Lights

---

#3 xcetra

xcetra

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:42 AM

I've also tried window glass cleaner.  The water spots are very hard to remove.  I'm also cautious of harsh chemicals because I don't want to damage the o-ring of the macro port.

#4 thetrickster

thetrickster

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:09 PM

I'm sorry to say. But that looks very water burnt. Not sure if that will ever come back.

Do you soak (and I mean for a while, not just a rinse) your housing in fresh water after every dive?

It might be worth sending back for a service / new glass element. Saying that, do those stains effect in water use?

I found some really good glass cleaner. Let me dig it (the name) out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards, Richard

---

GH4, Ninja2, 8mm, 7-14mm, 12-35mm, 14-42mm PZ, 60mm - all in a Nauticam wrapping, plus a couple of Keldan Video 8M CRI Lights

---

#5 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:59 PM

If they are water stains you should be able to remove them with vinegar,

soak a soft kitchen paper and press it on so that it stick on the glass and check every 5 minutes if it dissolves the stains.

Rinsing the hosuing and especially the glass/acrylic ports is essential, BUT
even more essential is to dry them after rinsing with a soft towel and take extremly care with acrylic glass as the get scratched very easy.

Instead of rubbing it dry you may dab the water drops with a soft, assorbing cloth or paper.

Chris

Edited by ChrigelKarrer, 18 May 2014 - 01:59 PM.

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#6 Gudge

Gudge

Tiger Shark

• Team Wetpixel
  • 537 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:27 PM

Try CLR (Calcium LIme Rust Remover), I found it worked really well for removing water spots from my rig:

http://www.clrbrands.com.au/

Edited by Gudge, 18 May 2014 - 04:27 PM.

Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D housing, 2 x Inon Z240, 1 x Inon S2000, Tokina 10-17 & 12-24, Sigma 17-70 Macro, Tokina 35 macro, Canon 60 & 100 macro, Tamron 2X & Kenko 1.X Teleconverters.

#7 xcetra

xcetra

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:55 PM

thetrickster,

Yeah, that's what someone else said that it may not be possible to remove the marks.  Though, I would imagine a fine polish should remove them.  The glass still seems smooth so I would think the marks haven't etched into the glass.

I do try to soak my housing in fresh water after a days diving.  There's probably been a couple times I didn't get a chance to soak the housing.  But I do rinse every time.  Though, I do do a lot of beach dives and probably there's been times where I couldn't rinse my housing for several hours.

I don't think the stains affect image quality underwater.  Haven't noticed.  Looking through the port with a bowl of water I can't see the stains.

Chris,

I've tried a vinegar/lime solution diluted in water soaking for at least 12 hours but that didn't seem to help.  I will try your technique of pure vinegar.

Gudge,

If all else fails, I will try the CLR.

Thanks for all the suggestions

#8 TimG

TimG

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm water, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:22 PM

Hi Jason

I hate to say this but this looks ominously like marks I had on my Subal flat port after a few months working in the Lembeh Straits in 2009-10.

I tried all sorts to remove them - including consulting Wetpixlers. But no joy. Luckily for me Subal ports can be re-glassed and this is what I did.

I still have no clue what the "bloom" was or what caused it.

Tim

(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)

www.timsimages.uk

#9 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:50 PM

That's good work on the water marks... ;) Not sure whether they will come out. One good tip with glass ports is to take a small sqwirty water container on the boat with a mix of isoprol alcohol and fresh water and give them a quick spray if the water is going to dry on it.

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#10 xcetra

xcetra

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:51 PM

TimG,

Yeah the stains seem more like an odd chemical reaction with the glass rather than mineral deposits.  Thankfully, you don't seem to notice them when the glass is wet.  After looking through the glass when the port is partially submerged in a bowl of water, it doesn't seem to affect image quality.

jonny shaw,

Thanks for the tip.  I do usually try to keep my housing wet if fresh water isn't available and rinse, soak and dry as soon as possible.

#11 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1581 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:19 PM

Get some glass wax (or car polishing compound) and use that. You need something a bit abrasive. These don't look like dissolved minerals at all but if they are smooth (rather than etched/pitted) you will be able to clean them with the compound.

BIll

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#12 TimG

TimG

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm water, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:21 AM

Hey Jason

Did you ever get anywhere with this?

Tim

www.timsimages.uk

#13 xcetra

xcetra

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:36 AM

Hi Tim,

No I didn't. Though I didn't yet try the car polishing solution yet.  You have any ideas?

Jason

#14 TimG

TimG

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:45 AM

Sorry, no! I was hoping the car polish would solve the problem for you. At least it would give you a nice shiny port eh?

Tim

www.timsimages.uk

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nauticam, water drops, stain, port, glass, om-d e-m5