Photo
- - - - -

What is a fair price for the right to use the image?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ScubaFinland

ScubaFinland

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:24 AM

I got an query from an company about using one of my pictures. Here is the quote "We have the idea to tape a couple of boats with underwater image, so the question is, how much would this cost?" The company website is www.raymarine.fi.

I have never sold any of my photos and I really was surprised of this query.

I need your help!

What would be the fair price?

#2 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:52 PM

Depends on what you are you  providing and what you are expected to do. Are there images you already have created and would be licensing? Or is this something they want you to come out to do? For what purpose would  these images be licensed, in what media, what is the distribution and how long?  That are the sort of questions you'd as yourself before setting a price. Im a fellow Finn so I know of the company -  and I am guessing this is for advertizing selling boats. If that is the case you'd have to produce pretty high quality images and the company would expect to pay typical commercial fees. Don't skimp on the price, there aren't that many commercial underwater photographers in Finland. If you have the capability, gear and skill to do a high quality job, then you have a rather unique specialty in your market.

#3 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:06 AM

What would be the fair price?

Ask the client what the budget is. Treat that fee as a starting point and negotiate upwards.

As a guide, use a stock library pricing calculator. Find the highest fee and have that in your mind when discussing it with them. They may well have done the same...

Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#4 mike2swim

mike2swim

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:41 AM

Keep in mind the size of the company, the target market and length of time they want to use the image.  Beyond this, remember the investment cost of your equipment and expertise.  Most folks in the marketing dept of these companies understand the value of good imagery.  Using the Getty listening rights calculator can be a good starting point.  Congratulations on the prospect of working with this company.  

#5 ScubaFinland

ScubaFinland

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:32 AM

Thanks everyone for your help!

I finally got the pictures of the boat with my picture. The company seems to be happy with results!

This is how it looks:

Attached Images

• Raymarine 1.jpg
  • Raymarine 2.jpg

#6 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6192 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:31 PM

Looks cool, what did you charge?

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com