4 replies to this topic

#1 Glasseye Snapper

Glasseye Snapper

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Interests:Fish ID & behaviour and photos thereof

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:29 PM

I could use help with the ID for the fish below as I'm not even sure which family to look at. Most of the time that means it is a juvenile and this one was about 5cm, found at 10m on a gently sloping sand/rubble area downwards from a shallow coastal reef. It swam with halting motions, not trying to hide but clearly aware and anxious about my presence.

Thanks,  Bart

05115696.JPG

Olympus OM-D EM5/Nauticam, 12-50mm & 60mm macro
Sea&Sea 110a, iTorch, GoPro3 BE

#2 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:44 PM

Looks like a wrasse....not that it narrows the search down much. Where was it taken?

Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#3 Glasseye Snapper

Glasseye Snapper

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:49 AM

Looks like a wrasse....not that it narrows the search down much. Where was it taken?

Thanks Marli,

As the title indicated the picture was taken in Anilao. Twin Rocks to be precise. It doesn't look like any juvenile wrasse I know but it does move a little like a young black wrasse (Macropharyngodon negrosensis). I did contemplate a juvenile tuskfish because I did see adult tuskfish and they are quite different from the "normal" wrasse I am familiar with. So far I have found only one juvenile tuskfish image on fishbase. It is not this one but the shape is promising so I need to do some more digging.

Bart

#4 maractwin

maractwin

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:28 AM

I suspect juvenile tuskfish as well.  I have photographed juvenile Choerodon zosterophorus which have this shape, though slightly different coloration.  Which adult Choerodon sp. were in the area?

-Mark

#5 Glasseye Snapper

Glasseye Snapper

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

On this site the only tuskfish I saw was the Zamboanga tuskfish. I don't think it is a commonly seen species (it is not in the Reef Fish ID Tropical Pacific book and only dead specimen pictures on fishbase). I could not find any juvenile pictures for it so this might be it.

05063389.JPG