2 replies to this topic

#1 Overexposed Seahorse

Overexposed Seahorse

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:42 AM

Hi There,

I am going out to Cozumel for 2 weeks diving in July this year, and having never dived in the Caribbean area, I am unsure as too what lenses to take.

I normally go to the Red Sea and mainly just leave my TOkina 10-17 on my camera for most of the week, and enjoy the wide angle shots of all the reefs there. However there are few decent pictures from Cozumel on the web so I don't know whether the fisheye lens will be too wide.

Due to baggage restrictions I can't really take more than one lens/port combination, so I am OK with the 10-17 fisheye, or is it best to take a macro lens or 10-14 wide angle.

Thanks!

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3024 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:03 AM

I'm guessing you'll be really upset with yourself if you leave one at home.  Especially with two weeks to have some fun.  The deep reefs and walls off the southern end of the island just beg for the 10-17.  And the funky little splendid toadfish will do a dance right in front of you if you don't have the macro setup.  If you do bring it you may only see it's face if your lucky but that's sort of the way it goes.  Take them both.  Leave some clothes at home, you'll only need a swimsuit and a couple of tee shirts you can pickup there, cheap.  Or buy yourself a vest and put the lenses in a pocket for the flight.  Or just pay for the extra baggage.  It's a pittance compared to the cost of your equipment.

It has been pointed out to me here more than once that we have spent a lot of money to have the right equipment to be capable to make amazing photographs.  Why would we now save a few dollars and leave it home collecting dust?

Have a margarita for me and have a great time!

Cheers,

Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 Oceantony

Oceantony

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:45 AM

I think that if I would go back to Cozumel being there 3 times.

First wide angle lens ideal Tokin 10 -17 mm , do not have one so ! have taken my Sigma 10 -20 mm. Wide angle a must.

But on the other hand  a lens in the 17 - 70 mm or like my all go lens the Sigma 28 - 80 is another one to have in mind. These would allow you to capture reef scenes, fish and pseudo macros.

Lastly a macro lens for the Reef like Paraiso Shallow sea horses , Blennies and small critters.

Good Shooting and Luck

Cheers

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lenses, Macro, Tokina 10-17, Wide angle, 60mm, Cozumel, Mexico