• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tnoreds

tnoreds

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:21 AM

Hi all, I need suggestions for my next camera.

I'm using Canon G10 in a Canon housing with additional Fantasea wide-angle, Inon macro and strobe Sea&Sea YS-27DX. I'm happy with the photo quality but for video that I think I definitely needs upgrade.

At this moment, I'm considering buying Canon G1X Mark II or Sony RX100 II or DSLR Canon 100D with 18-55mm kitt adding 60mm lense for macro.

Note that I love taking macro shot (as most of them are easier to shoot than pelagic) and taking video for most of the action (for shooting student divers or underwater life)

Any suggestions will be much appreciated

#2 Overexposed Seahorse

Overexposed Seahorse

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:50 AM

How about a micro four thirds camera such as Panasonic GH3 or GH4 if you like video in particular? It will be a little more expensive than the G1X or RX100, but has the advantage of having interchangeable lenses, so you could use a 45mm or 60mm macro lens, and will have better image quality than the compact. The GH series is well known for excellent video capabilities, with the new GH4 taking 4K video. Both take excellent stills too.

Otherwise the Canon is a good camera, but I'm not sure if the Sony is the best choice for Macro? Someone who knows the camera better may well correct me though!

#3 tnoreds

tnoreds

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:13 AM

Panasonic GH3 or GH4 seems nice but, they seems a way more expensive too :(

#4 Overexposed Seahorse

Overexposed Seahorse

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:47 AM

Ah yes, I didn't realise that the housing was that much more than the 100d. However, the 100d is considerably more (£2200+) compared with the compacts (£950) also.

#5 tnoreds

tnoreds

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:49 PM

I know, it just I think if compacts already quite expensive, why not jump into 100d instead for better control in photo and quality, maybe attach a gopro for video. Anyway, thanks for your suggestion, for sure will be searching for samples about these camera's result!