• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JW8660

JW8660

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:52 AM

Hi, I just wanted to ask people on their thoughts between two camera systems as I am undecided (and struggling) on what to pick!

The first set up is a RX100 II, with recsea housing, YS-D1, UWL-04 Fisheye Lens, bluewater +7 macro lens. 

The second is a XZ-2, Olympus housing, Z240, Inon wide angle and dome port. (maybe an Inon macro lens as well).

If it helps my main subjects will be sharks as I am going to a shark research station. I will use the camera mostly on boats and snorkeling on the surface, freediving with the camera and the occasional dive. I do also enjoy macro photography and that's why I've included the macro lenses.

Also I wanted to ask if anyone can recommend any insurance company's as I will be away for just under 5 months and want to cover any camera gear, my laptop, etc.

#2 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:18 AM

Read this http://interceptor12...camera-roundup/

I have just come back from a trip to the Galapagos, sharks do not come as close as you would like so a semifisheye for me is a waste.

I used an Inon UWL-H100 that with the RX100 is equivalent to 17-18mm this is ideal on a compact for sharks.

Strobe wise you need two for the same reason above sharks do not come close so you need to illuminate a wide area

If you plan to shoot in ambient light near the surface the Inon lens above can also mount a hood that is useful to prevent ghosting or flare

The UWL-04 on the RX100 performs poorly in ambient light, this is a lens for smaller sensors like a 1/1.7" as the XZ-2 (though it will vignette with this camera due to the shape of the Olympus recessed port)

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RX100 II, XZ-2, Inon, Olympus, sony, help, insurance, recsea