• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JW8660

JW8660

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:52 AM

Hi, I just wanted to ask people on their thoughts between two camera systems as I am undecided (and struggling) on what to pick!

The first set up is a RX100 II, with recsea housing, YS-D1, UWL-04 Fisheye Lens, bluewater +7 macro lens. 

The second is a XZ-2, Olympus housing, Z240, Inon wide angle and dome port. (maybe an Inon macro lens as well).

If it helps my main subjects will be sharks as I am going to a shark research station. I will use the camera mostly on boats and snorkeling on the surface, freediving with the camera and the occasional dive. I do also enjoy macro photography and that's why I've included the macro lenses.

Also I wanted to ask if anyone can recommend any insurance company's as I will be away for just under 5 months and want to cover any camera gear, my laptop, etc.

#2 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:18 AM

Read this http://interceptor12...camera-roundup/

I have just come back from a trip to the Galapagos, sharks do not come as close as you would like so a semifisheye for me is a waste.

I used an Inon UWL-H100 that with the RX100 is equivalent to 17-18mm this is ideal on a compact for sharks.

Strobe wise you need two for the same reason above sharks do not come close so you need to illuminate a wide area

If you plan to shoot in ambient light near the surface the Inon lens above can also mount a hood that is useful to prevent ghosting or flare

The UWL-04 on the RX100 performs poorly in ambient light, this is a lens for smaller sensors like a 1/1.7" as the XZ-2 (though it will vignette with this camera due to the shape of the Olympus recessed port)

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog