4 replies to this topic

#1 midael

midael

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:46 PM

Hello All,

Rainy Sunday made me look into some of my old footage from dive trip to Palau in Jan 2013. It was pretty rainy then in Palau too I recall. Regardless, diving was really nice and mellow. Some of the better parts below. (4:40):

All the footage shot with the GoPRO Hero3 HD black (2.4k, downscaled to 720p for vimeo). Edited and (heavily?) color corrected in Premiere CS6. Got that little thing for this trip to experiment with it. While it's obviously not an alternative to real DSLR / video rig, the size (or lack of it thereof) certainly makes up for some of the shortcomings (and happier non uw photog buddy :) ).

I hope you like it!

Edited by midael, 15 June 2014 - 02:48 PM.

#2 matdiver1234

matdiver1234

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:24 AM

Hey midael, nice video. That's about the steadiest footage from a GoPro that I've ever seen!

Brought back memories for me, because I was in Palau in Jan 2014... and it rained virtually the whole time. Like when you were there, it was very dark underwater  (if you're interested, you can see some footage here that I posted a while back: https://vimeo.com/92704941 ).

Cheers,

Matt

Matt

https://vimeo.com/user778053/videos

Panasonic GH2 - 10 Bar housing - 50W Kowalski Maxum

#3 midael

midael

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:07 AM

Thanks Matt! Very nice footage on your video. I wish we had seen more Manta Rays!

To make gopro a bit more stable -- I had it hooked up to the lightweight tripod. It sort of defeats the purpose of small action cam to have a tripod many times the size of it with you, right? ;-)  But it certainly stabilizes the footage compared to trying to hold small cam like that steady in your hand.

Cheers,

Mikko 

#4 troporobo

troporobo

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:49 AM

Nice footage, thanks for sharing!  

Were the blacktips beginning at 3:40 sped up or is that real time?  They looked a lot more aggressive than I've usually seen them.

#5 midael

midael

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

Thanks troporobo! :) Blacktips are real time (and in a bit of a feeding frenzy I'd think).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: palau, 2013