Photo

Best, inexpensive set up for snorkeling with whalesharks?

snorkeling

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 holloways

holloways

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:35 AM

I'm looking for an inexpensive, compact sized, camera or camera/housing combo, SPECIFICALLY for shooting whilst snorkeling with whale sharks, dolphins on an upcoming liveaboard trip to Mexico. 

I already have a UW M4/3 set up with 2 strobes, nauticam housing, including a 7-14 lens and dome port - BUT I want a small, cheapie device for 2 days of snorkeling.

I don't really want to lug my  M4/3 set up around for 2 days of snorkeling.  Any suggestions?

REQUIREMENTS:  Lightweight, small, wide angle, waterproof, inexpensive ($200 USD +/-)

NICE TO HAVEs (but not requirements):  RAW, 130 foot +, built in flash, video

Maybe the best idea is to use my M4/3 set up and buying a new little camera is not advisable/necessary.

Ideas and opinions welcomed.

Thanks so much!!!

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3058 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:51 AM

I'd take the 4/3 setup and the housing and leave the strobes at home.  Use the WA setup and have a ball.  I don't think I'd be happy with less if I knew I had the gear and just didn't use it.

Cheers,

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:25 PM

Nothing that can fit a whaleshark in would be cheap. Even a 24mm waterproof camera has a tiny field of view behind  a flat port

If you were only doing video you could get a 2nd hand hero2 but even that would be poor if you have a Panasonic with superior video or a Sony

So take your 7-14mm that's pretty spot on and put your camera on a tray without strobes as Steve suggests

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#4 bear35

bear35

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:35 AM

I would agree totally with the other comments, results with something smaller and cheap are just going to make you wish you had taken your camera. You are not going to get a wide enough lens using a compact either.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: snorkeling