• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vagabonder

vagabonder

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:44 AM

Going end of June for a 9 days trip to Cancun area for diving and I need to tips regarding where to dive and some decent dive shops.

I will start with two days on Isla Mujeres for whale sharks snorkeling. The plane will arrive Cancun  around 1600 and then I will go to the Island. Should I make a booking or just fix it there?  Any tips which company I should go with, or are all the same? Is it any points doing any normal scuba from the Island also? Done more or less all my diving in South East Asia in good locations so a pit picky when it comes to dive sites.

After that I have different options:

I want to do some diving in the cenotes (fresh water caves / holes).

Any tips for where to be located? Playa del Carmen or is Tulum OK, any good dive shops which are recommended?

And finally; how is the diving in Cozumel? Is it worth going out for a couple of days?

Thanks in advance

Vaga

#2 MK2

MK2

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:16 AM

Hola Vaga. You can walk around Isla Mujares and book there for whale sharks no problems. Most of the cenote diving is done around the Tulum area. Check out Playa Scuba or Yucatek Divers in Playa Del Carmen. Of course Cozumel has great diving! Other than cenotes It is by far better than the Mainland.

Pelagic Visions Imaging

Blue H2O Cozumel Watersports

http://padiowsi.wix.com/blueh2ocozumel

#3 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:29 AM

Hi Vaga,

I have been going to Cozumel/Cancun yearly for the last 6 yrs.  Just got back from there 2 weeks ago and have an August trip planned too.  I always go with: http://www.mydeeplife.com  Eduardo runs a great operation.  I have done whale sharks, cenotes and Cozumel dives with him.  I highly recommend him.

I should also caution you, the Caribbean is not the Indo-Pacific.  The coral is not as healthy, but the Cozumel drift diving is great and the cenotes are an awesome experience.

Elmer

Edited by eyu, 21 June 2014 - 10:38 AM.

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats