14 replies to this topic

#1 poseidonsenforcer

poseidonsenforcer

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:15 PM

Hello,

I just got my YS-D1 strobes back from Sea and Sea (I was having the firmware updated). This was my first dive with them since the upgrade. Before that, they were fine. Before the dive I made sure the Oring looked good and was free of any debris, slathered on some silicone lube, put new batteries in and locked the flash. I then did 2 dives (the first was slightly deep @ 112')  and didn't notice any strange behavior with the flash. I got back to my hotel room and opened up the flash to take the batteries out and noticed this-

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

So I can't quite tell what happened here. Either my flash flooded or a battery exploded, or ??? I didn't notice any seawater inside the flash, which makes me think the battery exploded. I was diving in the caribbean where the ocean temp was 84-86 degrees, so maybe things got too hot? 

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Brown smelly goo in your flash? I'm wondering what to do next and what's the safest way to clean this up. I am also wondering if i should contact Sea & Sea to see if there's something they can do.

Thanks!

-Pete

Edited by poseidonsenforcer, 29 June 2014 - 05:49 PM.

#2 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:59 AM

Hi Pete,

looks like 112' is well within their depth rating of 330'.

http://www.seaandsea...manual_Uveg.pdf

Which battery cells/brand were you using?

Did the battery cap pop when you opened it?

Could have been a cell failure/leak or a tiny leak eg a few drops, just enough to short the cells.

Had all the battery cells leaked or did it just look like one? Understand if you didn't get a good

look as they are hazardous in that state.

Cheers,

Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#3 poseidonsenforcer

poseidonsenforcer

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:25 AM

--Which battery cells/brand were you using?

I was using brand new Rayovac brand batteries. 

--Did the battery cap pop when you opened it?

Not that I noticed, it still seemed sealed to me.

--Could have been a cell failure/leak or a tiny leak eg a few drops, just enough to short the cells.

Right, I guess I was wondering if a battery leak would look different than a flood, but it all probably looks like a brown goo mess!

--Had all the battery cells leaked or did it just look like one? Understand if you didn't get a good

look as they are hazardous in that state.

I honestly didn't get a great look since I tried to dispose of the batteries as quickly as possible. 

#4 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:54 PM

The recommended battery to use is Sanyo Eneloop. Rayovac is not a good brand, as far as I know, Energizer is better than Rayovac. I would help if you can take a picture of the batteries and post it here as well.

#5 Karl

Karl

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:33 PM

Be aware of Eneloops as well as there are some fake ones out there on Fleabay etc that are causing allsorts of issues as well with over gasing and poping 'O' rings - I had it happen to me (saved the strobe) and I know of one other who had both strobes flooded.

Karl

Everyone is entitled to my opinion!!

#6 poseidonsenforcer

poseidonsenforcer

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:45 PM

They were just standard alkaline batteries. Like these-

rayovac1.png '

I hadn't seen any literature on the recommended batteries for the YS-D1 strobes yet. Who was recommending the eneloops? 

#7 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:28 AM

Most folks use rechargeable Nickel–metal hydride batteries in their strobes. Everyone has there fave but

I have been using the Powerex cells for many years and happy to recommend them. I started using the

2700mAh cells but switched a few years back to the 2400mAh Imedions which are now my brand of choice

for AA cells. Coupled with a good smart charger you can't go wrong IMHO.

Cheers,

Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#8 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:07 AM

Battery life
Alkaline: Approx. 150 flashes
Ni-MH(eneloop pro) : Approx. 250 flashes
Ni-MH(eneloop) : Approx. 200 flashes

Without seeing the picture of the battery after you take them out of the strobe, it's hard to tell if they explode or not. Perhaps you can see if Sea & Sea would clean the battery compartment for you for a small price.

I talked to a dealer during a photography workshop, Eneloop gives your more flashes and it's the brand listed in the manual.

#9 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1498 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:23 AM

you don't need to send the strobe to S&S to clean it, you can easily do it yourself. Use some sodium bicarb in water first, then rinse with clear water (a good bottle brush will help remove the crud. Rinse til clear then rinse with IPA (not the beer) and you should be fine.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#10 poseidonsenforcer

poseidonsenforcer

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:38 AM

Thanks for the Battery info. I must of missed that in the manual!! Maybe this should have gone into the newb forum.   :pardon:

Yeah, after doing some research I am going to try to clean this myself rather than spend more money on it. Seems like I should also replace the cap. 

I also found this helpful video- https://www.youtube....h?v=_uoiyydkSqo

Thanks Everyone!

#11 kc_moses

kc_moses

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:50 AM

you don't need to send the strobe to S&S to clean it, you can easily do it yourself. Use some sodium bicarb in water first, then rinse with clear water (a good bottle brush will help remove the crud. Rinse til clear then rinse with IPA (not the beer) and you should be fine.

Bill

What's the measurement of baking soda to water? 1 tsp/cup? Also, what's IPA? Hopefully I don't need to do it some day.

#12 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2102 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:31 AM

Before the dive I made sure the O-ring looked good and was free of any debris, slathered on some silicone lube

"Slathering" is never good: it traps dust and grit and causes leaks. Something let some water in...

#13 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:11 AM

What's the measurement of baking soda to water? 1 tsp/cup? Also, what's IPA? Hopefully I don't need to do it some day.

The amount of baking soda to water isn't really critical, you are just using it to neutralize the acid from the batteries, and will just wash the excess away.

By IPA, I presume that bvanant is refering to isopropyl acohol, which is commonly sold in the US as "rubbing alcohol".  This will help remove all the water from inside the case, and allow it dry fully.

Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver

#14 Glasseye Snapper

Glasseye Snapper

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Interests:Fish ID & behaviour and photos thereof

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:26 PM

I had a similar case with a Sea&Sea 110a strobe last May. In my case I had been down for close to an hour and had been taking pictures normally until at some point the strobe started to malfunction. Looking at the strobe there was dark stuff oozing out of the top cap and I could see the blue o-ring popped out of the groove. I aborted the dive (solo shore dive so that was easy). Upon opening the battery cap it was clear that the strobe was flooded. One of the batteries was damaged at the nipple end, as far as I remember the others looked nasty or maybe just dirty but without structural damage. I cleaned out the battery compartment immediately with fresh water followed by a soak in cleaning vinegar. Finally another rinse with water and then drying in front of the air conditioner. To my surprise and relieve the strobe functioned just fine for the remainder of the trip.

I wasn't sure if the strobe flooded first leading to battery damage or vice versa. I assumed it was operator error but have found the lid closing system of the 110a to be rather fool-proof. In addition, if it was flooding first then why did it not happen earlier. From the discussion here it appears that it may actually have been the battery that was at fault. I was using Imedion powerex 2400mAh and a MAHA powerex smart charger. They are supposed to be good and the problem did not reappear so I hope it was just an unlucky but one-time event.

Bart

Olympus OM-D EM5/Nauticam, 12-50mm & 60mm macro
Sea&Sea 110a, iTorch, GoPro3 BE

#15 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1498 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:03 PM

Sorry, for not being more precise. For the baking soda, 1 tablespoon in a cup (5 grams/100 ml) or so should do. IPA is indeed isopropyl alcohol, (too much time in the lab I guess).

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net