5 replies to this topic

#1 cwise

cwise

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:22 AM

Hi everyone,

I have a Nikon D200 in a Sea & Sea housing with two YS90 DX strobes. The strobes are attached by a double sync cord which attaches to the camera hot shoe inside the housing.

I have my Camera flash settings on manual. With the pop up flash down. Strobes are set to on and the slave is off.

My strobes are firing intermitently. The sync cord is new and the wiring looks good.

Should I use a different camera setting? There are so many. Should I raise the pop up flash? Or lower the power of the flash?

I'm on an island with no other photographers to ask.

Please help. I'm at my wits end!

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3066 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

Sorry to hear you're having problems.  It's hard to guess but a couple things to check; Make sure the hot shoe connection is solid.  I put a piece of foam behind the connector to make sure it stays in place.  A rubber band can do the job too.  On my Canon Sea & Sea housing I've had issues in the past with the sync cord connector not seating all the way down which can result in intermittent firings.  I'm sure you've checked it but another try couldn't hurt.  

Intermittent issues are the toughest to find but it's most likely an electrical connection.  I doubt if it's a camera or strobe setting or it wouldn't work at all.  You are giving it time to recycle right?

Good luck, 

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1768 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:04 PM

Good advice Steve.

One other thing to check is that the end of the cable and the socket into which it plugs are dry. 

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#4 Trwen

Trwen

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:17 AM

In manual, don't you need your flash up, so the strobe can detect it and work from it? 

#5 timthefish

timthefish

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:00 AM

In manual, don't you need your flash up, so the strobe can detect it and work from it? 

No not with electrical sync cords connected to the hot shoe

#6 cwise

cwise

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:19 AM

Thank you everyone. I will try everything you suggested and let you know how it goes.

I do wait for my strobes to recycle. But do I need to wait for the camera flash to recycle too? even though the pop up flash is down? Should I lower the power on the camera flash?