• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 Draq

Draq

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 06:49 AM

Ted, many thanks for the reply, I thought that would be the answer.

Do you think adding some weight to the bottom of the dome would help it? I'm just trying to think of a way to make it more user friendly in the water

I'm planning to get in a pool soon to test it all out and want to take with me some options to try

I'm not Ted, but can share my experience, in the hope it helps.  I used to have a 6" acrylic dome for the 7-14.  To combat its handling issues, I bought an ankle weight; one of the ones you fill yourself with sand, and then I experimented with how much sand I need to make the dome less inclined to tip up.  It helped, was not completely successful because the weight was too close to the housing.  I was thinking of using tape, velcro or glue to attach some lead strips to the bottom shade portion of the housing, and then learned that there are stick-on weights that can be found at hobby/model railroad shops and for balancing tires.  I don't know how well they stay on underwater because before it came to that, I moved to a 7" glass dome that would accommodate the then-new 12-40.

I would suggest you try the stick on weights.  They are available on ebay if you cannot find them elsewhere.

That solved the problem.  

#62 Longimanus1975

Longimanus1975

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:26 AM

Draq, good shout about the weights, many thanks for the feedback

I take it the glass dome is much more balanced?  I would invest in the glass dome if i knew it would fit the up coming 7-14mm lens :-)

#63 TedJ

TedJ

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 06:00 AM

Its not really that it is better balanced, rather its just heavier, so the entire rig has a balance point that allows the dome to be more horizontal.
The weights might work fine on the ears of the dome, never tried it. Barbara never complained about it and actually it became a reminder to "shoot up" and of course, get closer!

Ted Janssen

NEX-7, Nauticam,  INON, and ULCS

#64 Draq

Draq

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 10:21 AM

I don't know whether it is balance or just weight, but I find that the glass dome is much more comfortable to hold since it is not always wanting to twist upward.  On the other hand, I did need to more buoyancy to the setup.  Adding weights to the shade of the acrylic dome should accomplish the same thing.  I, too am very much hoping the new 7-14 will work in the current Zen dome.