• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dreifish

dreifish

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:24 PM

How good is the manual white balance on the Panasonic cameras (especially the GHx series) for underwater use? Can you get rich colors without a red filter? If so, how deep?

How do the Panasonics compare to the Canons? (I've seen some excellent white balance results without a red filter from the 5D Mark III -- can GH4 do similar)

What about compared to the RX100? I have an RX100, and the manual white balance without red filter doesn't produce very good results below 5 meters or so. Are the panasonics/canons better? Or do you need a red filter with all of them?

#2 thetrickster

thetrickster

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:22 AM

I'm finding the white balancing excellent for 10-30m.

I tried to white balance at 50m - while it did accept it (no errors like many other camera would do) the colours were not good - but that is expected! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards, Richard

--

Gear:  GH4, 12-35mm, 7-14mm, 8mm FishEye, 60mm, Atomos Ninja2, NA-GH3, NA-NINJA2, Zen 170mm Dome, Keldan Luna 8 CRI's

Underwater 4K Videos

#3 matdiver1234

matdiver1234

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:34 AM

I have the GH2 (hacked). I've experimented quite a bit with MWB, and I'd say it's essential to have a good quality red filter (e.g. Aditech/Mangrove, or URPRO). I've had good results as deep as 30m in the Red Sea and tropics. I use a bit of white translucent plastic, like a sort of expodisc, in front of the filter, rather than a WB card.

Cheers,

Matt

Matt

https://vimeo.com/user778053/videos

Panasonic GH2 - 10 Bar housing - 50W Kowalski Maxum

#4 dreifish

dreifish

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:26 PM

Matt, where does the red filter go with wide-angle lenses?

#5 thetrickster

thetrickster

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:23 PM

Matt, where does the red filter go with wide-angle lenses?

If you are talking about the 7-14mm - you can modify the lens and buy the rear filter holder from the 8mm and use it that way.

Regards, Richard

--

Gear:  GH4, 12-35mm, 7-14mm, 8mm FishEye, 60mm, Atomos Ninja2, NA-GH3, NA-NINJA2, Zen 170mm Dome, Keldan Luna 8 CRI's

Underwater 4K Videos

#6 matdiver1234

matdiver1234

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

Good question! As far as I've figured out, there are 3 options, each with its own disadvantage, depending on your make of housing and lens/port configuration. If you have a "proper" wide angle lens like the 7-14, then you can use the technique that thetrickster mentions. The disadvantage is that it's a bit fiddly. You could also use a clip-on filter in front of the dome, like Mangrove's CF-D127: , but this has the disadvantage that at shallow depths (e.g. less than 5m) you'll probably get reflections. Finally, you can use a screw-on filter, which is what I use with my PZ 14-42 lens. The disadvantage here is that it's a flat port, and the so-called wide becomes more like 19mm. Decisions...

Matt

Edited by matdiver1234, 17 July 2014 - 02:00 PM.

Matt

https://vimeo.com/user778053/videos

Panasonic GH2 - 10 Bar housing - 50W Kowalski Maxum

#7 wrayphoto

wrayphoto

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:01 PM

Here is some great sample footage from the GH4. Some shot utilizing manual white balance, some using video lights. The in-camera slow-motion, and post-processing camera movements are also impressive!

http://bit.ly/GH4_Underwater