custom housing sony

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 makar0n

makar0n

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:diving, UW photography, bungee, horror and post-apocalyptic books/movies/games

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:30 AM

Hi Guys,

I've had a chance to play with the Sony QX100 camera lately (gf got it :) ) and i must say it does awesome shots...so instantly an idea popped in my head "why not take it underwater?"

So ideally a combo: camera in its housing in my hands or attached to something and an other housing with android based smartphone/tablet  to serve as monitor and general control panel, perhaps on my arm - as these can connect wirelessly.

Problem is, while i can get housings for phone/tablet there is no such option for the camera itself..At the moment i am in process of emailing few big names in UW housings to see if they could make a custom one but something tells me it will be either a no or the cost will be ridiculous...

I am thinking of going one of two ways:

1) get some video camera/camcoder etc housing that would remotely be the same size ie something like this

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item41830051f8

And try to adapt it to the camera ie make some internal mounts (not sure what materials to use though)

it could be the  cheapest option but there is a problem with fitting, keeping it stable, lens working correctly and of course no buttons at all - so camera would have to be switched on before putting it in the housing and then left on for the whole dive

2) order custom made housing...as mentioned before, emailed a few big names, so far had only one reply and its a no...wondering if anybody can recommend some smaller companies/private people that would be able to do something like this ? Ideally UK/Europe based but could work worldwide...

It would be a "minimal" housing...just on/off button, shutter (just in case) and perhaps zoom control (though could skip this one in favour of controlling it from the tablet, if its too complicated/expensive)

So thought will ask here...can anybody recommend anything? Any experience in making the camera fit other housing? Any other ideas? Would be grateful for any advice :)

Also,  i wonder, how WIFI would perform underwater....anybody tried this?

Link to the camera:

http://www.sony.co.u...meras/dsc-qx100

Cheers,

Marcin

Attached Images

• 2e4b41c764029c9ece81fbf00d327896.png

Edited by makar0n, 05 July 2014 - 04:30 AM.

#2 joez2391

joez2391

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:32 PM

I think the biggest issue you're going to run into with this setup is how to manipulate the touch screen on a smartphone or tablet to control it.  Without solid buttons to press I cant image creating a rig that would be anywhere near reliable at depth.  I have a lifeproof case on my iPhone right now and it will not recognize touch even if there are small droplets on it.

#3 makar0n

makar0n

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:diving, UW photography, bungee, horror and post-apocalyptic books/movies/games

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:17 AM

thanks for your input.

yeah, been worried about such thing, though i must say havent tested proper phone/tablet case udnerwater yet. Have MPK-THGB case for Sony T90 camera with touch screen and no problem at all... "screen buttons" work great...i.e the predefined ones, case wont let you use full screen touch capacity, only in predefined places...thought about something similar for the potential control device.

#4 joez2391

joez2391

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:04 PM

absolutely, just giving my two cents... still try it why not! will be keeping an eye out for your updates on this, it's definitely a neat little camera

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: custom housing, sony