• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 henryfradley

henryfradley

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:49 PM

I've been shooting with a nikonos v for about 6 months, all in shallow water and I love the camera, but I just ran into an issue with the shutter release. Now whenever I hit the shutter button it will go down but has to be pushed back up from the bottom with a toothpick or something. I feel like they're must be some kind of way to fix it so I can start shooting with it again. If any of you guys have any experience with issues like this and could give me some insight it would be greatly appreciated. 

#2 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:13 PM

It needs to be serviced.

A sticking shutter button is very common with  Nik V that have not been serviced for a period.

Without service, it will eventually leak.

Edited by okuma, 10 July 2014 - 06:14 PM.

Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#3 henryfradley

henryfradley

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

Thats what i had figured, I'm trying to find somewhere to service it locally but if that doesn't work out is there any online places that have good reputations? I'm gonna call around tomorrow and see if I can find somebody who could do it. 

#4 captwill

captwill

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:39 PM

Henry, did you find anyone to service the nikonos ? I have one also but cant find anyone to do it online or elsewhere...

#5 pointy

pointy

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:52 PM

Thats what i had figured, I'm trying to find somewhere to service it locally but if that doesn't work out is there any online places that have good reputations? I'm gonna call around tomorrow and see if I can find somebody who could do it. 

Hello Henry, 

I think you could get a good second hand Nikonos (or two) for less money than it would cost to have yours serviced. You might even want to take a crack at servicing it yourself. I had a similar problem in the mid 80s, so I very carefully took it apart, cleaned and lubed the o rings and reassembled the thing. It worked just fine. Unfortunately, I was less careful the second time I tried to do that and was unable to get it back together - I still have a bag full of Nikonos parts.

You can check for air tightness after servicing by heating the camera with a hair dryer before closing the back. Then, after it has cooled for a while, try to remove the lens . If you can feel some suction on the lens then your seals are good.

Below is a link to a Nikonos 5 service manual to help guide you if you want to give it a go.

http://www.aberdeenw...rvicemanual.pdf

John McCracken

#6 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3042 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:28 PM

I used to use Southern Nikonos in Texas.  They still show up on the web but I don't have any recent experience.  I remeber them being extremely knowledgable and fast but that has been a while.  

Southern Nikonos
3119 Lazy Spring Dr. 
Houston, Texas 77080
(713) 462-5436

Good luck,

Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#7 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:01 PM

Try this guy:

Devon Tompkins

Pacific Housing Repair

pacifichousingrepair.com

Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#8 LanceG

LanceG

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:21 AM

Hi,

You can try Mike Mesgleski at:         

http://www.underwatercamerarepair.com/

[COLOR=blue]

#9 Bakeapple

Bakeapple

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:06 AM

My local Nikon service centre quoted me $150 for servicing the Nikonos V. It's only slightly less than this camera can be purchased for on eBay, but when you buy it used, you really have no idea how well it was treated over the years and if those O-rings were ever greased.