Truk Chuuk wrecks diving Pacific Odyssey Blue Lagoon

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2127 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:53 AM

Here are the results of three weeks in Chuuk, as recounted above.

https://www.flickr.c...57645297557139/

Edited by tdpriest, 15 July 2014 - 11:54 AM.

#2 newmanl

newmanl

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:23 PM

Hi Tim,

That's a great collection of images! Lots of views I haven't seen before. Thanks for sharing. I hope I get my turn to dive and shoot there in 2017!

Lee

#3 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2127 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:24 AM

I hope I get my turn to dive and shoot there in 2017!

I recommend twin cylinders, a deco mix if you are going to go to 50m+, listening to the guides, and asking them to get you into the wrecks at the head of the queue!

I think I actually benefited from spending a week without my camera, although it felt tough at the time. I got used to the wrecks, and a feel for interesting shots.

#4 seansrs968

seansrs968

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:29 PM

I was there on the 70th anniversary of Operation Hailstone.

Nice images..no pics of R2D2? How did you like the Blue Lagoon? We stayed there after for that time you have to wait untl you go to the airport. I was not overly impressed with the Blue Lagoon as a hotel. The rooms were not that great. I also noticed they charge for everything at their dive shop. I loved the Odyssey. JJ  and his wife Kim are awesome. I hope to go back there in 2016. I do want to do more diving on the SF Maru. That is one of the wrecks that will probably survive the longest. It went straight down and not on its side like a lot of the other wrecks.

#5 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2127 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:26 PM

I was there on the 70th anniversary of Operation Hailstone...

... no pics of R2D2?

Look again...

... images 079 and 080!

Blue Lagoon may not be the Hilton, but they are the best rooms in Chuuk. I can't imagine a dive operator offering free services, they are no free lunches, especially not in the middle of the Pacific Ocean! Reflect on just how expensive the Odyssey is: we have paid for the privilege of diving with them...

... and if you want to dive the San Francisco Maru, Blue Lagoon is likely to be a lot more accommodating than the Odyssey, who also charge for deco gas. As I reported, JJ is not at all keen on the risks of visiting R2D2.

Edited by tdpriest, 29 July 2014 - 02:38 PM.

#6 seansrs968

seansrs968

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:30 PM

Look again...

... images 079 and 080!

Blue Lagoon may not be the Hilton, but they are the best rooms in Chuuk. I can't imagine a dive operator offering free services, they are no free lunches, especially not in the middle of the Pacific Ocean! Reflect on just how expensive the Odyssey is: we have paid for the privilege of diving with them...

... and if you want to dive the San Francisco Maru, Blue Lagoon is likely to be a lot more accommodating than the Odyssey, who also charge for deco gas. As I reported, JJ is not at all keen on the risks of visiting R2D2.

Nice shoot of R2D2. Yeah I got one of the guides to take me in there. In terms of deco gas, my roomie was on a rebreather and used tri-mix on that dive. JJ credited him from whatever Helium they were able to rebank.

How was the weather when you were there? It rained on us everyday we were there in Feb.

#7 max gleeson

max gleeson

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:02 PM

In regards to one of the posts above stating that he was not impressed with the rooms at the Blue lagoon resort. Just remember where you are. As for the dive shop charging for "Everything". You can stay and dive at the Blue lagoon for near two weeks for what it costs for one week on the Odyssey. So you really are being charged for everything, no matter where you stay.

Edited by max gleeson, 30 July 2014 - 06:14 PM.

#8 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2127 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:36 AM

How was the weather when you were there? It rained on us everyday we were there in Feb.

It rained about half of the days in May...

... but what rain!

#9 goose

goose

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photography and not much else.!!

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:43 PM

stunning stuff mate.

Well worth the ball ache involved with the camera saga and just think what you could of done with a camera for the whole trip.

Goose
My Kit:- NikonD800 Nikon D90 Nikon Prime 105mm & 60mm macro, Sigma 15mm Nikon 16-35mm Nikon 12-24mm wide angle, Tokina 10-17mm (the tit's of a lens) Nauticam NA-800 Aqutica AD90 housing, coupled with X2 Z240 mofo strobes G.S.E. 360 Ring Flash.

#10 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2127 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:17 AM

Well worth the ball ache...

Rust and squidge, Goose. Heaven!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Truk, Chuuk, wrecks, diving, Pacific, Odyssey, Blue Lagoon