D810 D800E Nikon Sea&Sea MDX-D800

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 AlexDawson

AlexDawson

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Professional underwater photographer from sweden who specialize in deep sea wrecks, mammals and commercial photography.

https://www.facebook.com/alexdawsonphoto

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:54 AM

Topic title edited: Admin

Hi,

picked up my Nikon D810 yesterday and was of course curios whether it would fit in my Sea&Sea MDX-D800 that I use with my Nikon D800E.

At first it looked very bad because I could not get any functions to work... Then I realized that this kind of modern camera needs a battery :)

After installing the battery things looked a lot brighter!

First the good things:

The camera works fine for photography the way I use it. That means aperture, shutter, ISO, AF-on and AF can be changed between AF and manual. 

Bonuses is that I can use the menu, wb, +/-, info, delete, metering mode, quality, flash setting, zoom in and out...

The things that don't work at first try:

can't start the live view, can't start recording movie, can't turn camera on and off, can't pop internal flash, can't switch between singel CL & CH...

Over all I am happy for now, I can most likely fix the last few things if I need it, but the reson I got the Nikon D810 is to use it as a land camera and keep the Nikon D800E in the housing. So no more in and out of cameras when the action gets intense like on last years sardine run in South Africa. 

I will take the camera for a test run in the Balearics in the next few weeks. 

Kind regards // Alex

Underwater photographer © Alex Dawson http://www.dawson-photo.com & https://www.facebook...alexdawsonphoto Stockholm, Sweden +46706369963

D800E, D810 & a lot of light...

#2 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1769 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:10 AM

This is great info, thanks Alex!

I am hoping to have a D810 with me (in a housing) during the Wetpixel Whale Sharks trip which starts next week.

It is contingent on Nikon and lots of kind people getting it to me on time. 

If it all comes together, the Wetpixel community will be the first to know!

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#3 Gary.Makai

Gary.Makai

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:55 AM

Should have mine later today, will report on how it works with my D800 nauticam housing.

#4 ssra30

ssra30

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:22 PM

A friend tried Nauticam housing and it fits fine. Subdial in front is a little off but can be modified easily to work. Live View button needs a little work. The only control that does not work is the video recording control. You can reassign that control on the camera though.

#5 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1769 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:20 PM

I am on the Wetpixel Whsle sharks trip and am using a D810 in Nauticam NA-D800 II housing.

The camera fits (just) although it does contact with the top of the housing when removing it. All left hand controls work bar the flash pop up and the new bracketing button.

The right hand side: Working: Shutter release. AF on. Meter mode selector. Rear command dial. Multi function selector, Info button. Mode selector, EV control.

Not working: Front command dial (see below). Record. Live view, Live view selector. AF/AE lock.

I have modified the housing by reversing the gear that access the main command dial, this is now functioning.

First impressions of the camera are good...

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#6 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:01 AM

Did you get the off/on switch to work?  Besides the live view, live view selector, AF/AE lock is there anything else that does not work with the D810 in the D800 housing?

Nikon D800E, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#7 funkyspelunker

funkyspelunker

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:45 AM

Tried the D810 in my Subal housing for D800/E and couldn't get the backplate to close properly due to the redesigned AE button, also, the on/off and front control dial did not line up or function properly. 

#8 Ed Wolfstein

Ed Wolfstein

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:48 AM

I’ve been able to play around with a Nikon D810 and see how it might fit in my Aquatica AD800 Housing.

In general, it seems to fit physically, but will need modifications or changes to several control parts to reach some shifted camera button locations. 

For example, the saddle works perfectly, but is impeded to fully lock into place somehow, perhaps by the new shape of the grip.(???) Therefore, I could not close the back without something being modified. The lens axis and viewfinder axis seem to be correct, and the shutter button seems to be in the right spot. But the front command dial mechanism would need a change in location upward a bit, as it does not engage at all.

The good news is that perhaps with a refit of some parts, I might be able to re-work an existing AD800 shell to about 80~90% functionality. There are some controls that just can't work. In conversation with the folks at Aquatica, they feel that a "retro kit" of sorts just wouldn't be practical, and if I read their tea leaves correctly, it means an AD810 would be in their future (by November at DEMA???) Personally, I’ll probably just stick with an 800 setup and the 810 will serve as a topside camera (as others will, it seems). For now.

Cheers!

- Ed.

Ed Wolfstein

100 Church Street

Burlington, VT 05401 USA

#9 funkyspelunker

funkyspelunker

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:12 AM

Subal said the same thing. They've got to make a new housing for the D810.

One drawback of using the 810 as a topside camera is that it can't double as a backup UW body, but assuming that's not a requirement I could understand why some might go that route. Simply not a big enough leap in technology for me to upgrade the whole housing to a new one, imho

#10 Ol Dirty Diver

Ol Dirty Diver

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:48 PM

Since AlexDawson described so much compatibility of the Sea & Sea D800 housing with the D810 I went ahead and acquired that housing.  Sadly, I cannot corroborate nearly as much functionality as he described.

Among the important functions that didn't work for me: rear command dial, info/menu/play/trash/mode buttons (these are in addition to the ones he said didn't work for him).  However, I actually could hit the shutter release.  Not sure why his gave him so much more functionality.

Many here have mentioned modifying their housings.  Can anyone direct me to some guidance on this?  I've never needed to do it, but would consider it for the time being.  Some of the buttons appear to almost reach, even depressing buttons slightly but not enough for camera to notice.  All I can think of is wrapping tape around inside button ends to bulk them up?

Thanks,

Kurt Chambers

Big Island, Hawai'i

#11 CBabbitt

CBabbitt

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:35 PM

I tried putting my Nikon D810 in a Sea&Sea MDX-D800 housing and I didn't have the same experience as reported to start this thread. The new grip is higher than the D800 on the On-Off and Shutter release controls don't properly fit into the housing.   I didn't even make it past that issue to test other functionality because I didn't want to damage the controls by forcing it.  It is interesting that Alex and even Kurt had different experiences with functionality and fit wight the same housing.  My D810 basically didn't even fit into the housing at all due to the top right side of the camera being higher than the D800. 

Cheers,

Chuck Babbitt

Kaneohe HI

#12 AlexDawson

AlexDawson

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Professional underwater photographer from sweden who specialize in deep sea wrecks, mammals and commercial photography.

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:14 AM

Since AlexDawson described so much compatibility of the Sea & Sea D800 housing with the D810 I went ahead and acquired that housing.  Sadly, I cannot corroborate nearly as much functionality as he described.

Among the important functions that didn't work for me: rear command dial, info/menu/play/trash/mode buttons (these are in addition to the ones he said didn't work for him).  However, I actually could hit the shutter release.  Not sure why his gave him so much more functionality.

Many here have mentioned modifying their housings.  Can anyone direct me to some guidance on this?  I've never needed to do it, but would consider it for the time being.  Some of the buttons appear to almost reach, even depressing buttons slightly but not enough for camera to notice.  All I can think of is wrapping tape around inside button ends to bulk them up?

Thanks,

Kurt Chambers

Big Island, Hawai'i

Hi,

I just checked my functions again and aperture and shutter works perfect without any adjustments on my MDX-D800 with the Nikon D810 

I will not modify anything on my housing unless I rely think I need the mode selector but usually I shoot in M. 

Remember to place the camera in the housing with the switch on the housing to "ON" and turn the camera to "ON" before placing the camera inside the housing. 

Good luck! 

Kind regards // Alex 

Underwater photographer © Alex Dawson http://www.dawson-photo.com & https://www.facebook...alexdawsonphoto Stockholm, Sweden +46706369963

#13 eric black

eric black

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:47 PM

I read things like this and feel all of your pain.  I guess this is the reason that I only seem to upgrade only every 7 years or so- the housing cooperating with the camera and the camera needing significant advances to dictate a purchase is my trigger point.  Happily, I think the D800E is not too far behind the newer camera as far as my shooting techniques go and Ill await whatever Nikon comes up with 5-6 years from now along with a commercially available housing for that camera,,, until then, Im still shooting the D800E and not having any regrets- except for the new toy jealousy.

#14 Ol Dirty Diver

Ol Dirty Diver

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:32 PM

Hi,

I just checked my functions again and aperture and shutter works perfect without any adjustments on my MDX-D800 with the Nikon D810 

I will not modify anything on my housing unless I rely think I need the mode selector but usually I shoot in M. 

Remember to place the camera in the housing with the switch on the housing to "ON" and turn the camera to "ON" before placing the camera inside the housing. 

Good luck! 

Kind regards // Alex 

Thanks, Alex, for the additional advice.  I was hopeful that I had tried it before with housing's on/off button switched unfavorably, but following your instruction unfortunately did not change the compatibility for me…Same as before.

Big trips coming up in two weeks and I've no idea whether Sea & Sea will ever even release an updated housing for the D810, so I'm in quite a pickle!  I see that Nauticam may offer theirs in my time frame so I'm tempted to switch over after 7 happy years with Sea & Sea gear.  I've never even used any other brand of housing, so I've no idea whether my Sea & Sea ports would be compatible with the Nauticam, or if I should be looking forward to acquiring all new ports?

#15 Eyematey

Eyematey

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:17 PM

"I've never even used any other brand of housing, so I've no idea whether my Sea & Sea ports would be compatible with the Nauticam, or if I should be looking forward to acquiring all new ports?"

One of the great things about Nauticam is it shares very similar geometry with Sea&Sea.  By changing the "rings" on back of ports you can use most if not all on Nauticam.  Nauticam also makes an adapter gear for using S&S gearing (and other brands).  I switched over from S&S a few years ago for this reason.

#16 Ol Dirty Diver

Ol Dirty Diver

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:25 PM

"I've never even used any other brand of housing, so I've no idea whether my Sea & Sea ports would be compatible with the Nauticam, or if I should be looking forward to acquiring all new ports?"

One of the great things about Nauticam is it shares very similar geometry with Sea&Sea.  By changing the "rings" on back of ports you can use most if not all on Nauticam.  Nauticam also makes an adapter gear for using S&S gearing (and other brands).  I switched over from S&S a few years ago for this reason.

Thrilled to learn this!  Thanks so much.  I'll inquire with Nauticam to learn whether I can acquire one of their housings in time.

#17 AlexDawson

AlexDawson

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:16 AM

Thanks, Alex, for the additional advice.  I was hopeful that I had tried it before with housing's on/off button switched unfavorably, but following your instruction unfortunately did not change the compatibility for me…Same as before.

Big trips coming up in two weeks and I've no idea whether Sea & Sea will ever even release an updated housing for the D810, so I'm in quite a pickle!  I see that Nauticam may offer theirs in my time frame so I'm tempted to switch over after 7 happy years with Sea & Sea gear.  I've never even used any other brand of housing, so I've no idea whether my Sea & Sea ports would be compatible with the Nauticam, or if I should be looking forward to acquiring all new ports?

Hi,

does your D810 fit in the housing without the back on? Can you get the base plate to align as it should be? Or does you problem start there? I have to push mine a half millimeter in on the right side, but very gentle. And after that the housing back fits easy... 

kind regards // Alex

#18 Ol Dirty Diver

Ol Dirty Diver

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

Hi,

does your D810 fit in the housing without the back on? Can you get the base plate to align as it should be? Or does you problem start there? I have to push mine a half millimeter in on the right side, but very gentle. And after that the housing back fits easy... 

kind regards // Alex

"Perseverance pays off."  Thanks, Alex, for your continued help.  I'm happy to report that I have now acquired all of the functionality that you originally reported!

My base plate with camera mounted fit snug and flush in the mount, but your suggestion of playing around with this got me to lock the base plate without it seated all the way in…i.e., I let the camera sit ~2mm closer to the back.  This allowed the buttons on the back to finally reach far enough to depress the camera buttons enough.  So then I made a temporary spacer out of cardboard to keep the base plate from going all the way in, which continued to allow the buttons to work.  But I noticed that clamping the back down didn't appear to seal the bottom side of the housing; I could see the O-ring from outside.  Looking carefully it became apparent that the photo/video switch is what protrudes the furthest from the back, and since it's now misaligned with the new position of the switch on the camera it must be the cause of the insufficient seating.  Appeared to be easy to remove the switch from the inside of the housing, a single Phillips screw, so I did.  Replacing the back still left a gap on the bottom, so then I tried it again without my cardboard spacer.  With the base plate seated fully in the mount all the buttons now work and the back appears to seal fully!  The photo/video switch couldn't be used anyway due to the misalignment, so removing it from the inside of the housing (which still leaves the switch sealed on the outside) seems to be a solution for making the housing compatible with the D810 and retaining nearly all the button functionality.

Have you tested this in the water yet?  I guess I will now (tub of water test first).

While some users may be fine with losing the capability to record video, I actually am still determined to sort it out, and I think it's possible.  The photo/video switch actually wouldn't be necessary.  I just tested what happens if the switch is set on video and you hit the shutter button…The camera still shoots a photo (you have to specify this in the custom menu).  In fact, the camera acts entirely in photo mode unless you hit the Live View button to start video mode.  So I just need to figure out how to get the arms to reach the Live View and Record buttons.  These buttons are within millimeters away from the existing housing ones, so it seems feasible.  Still interested to hear any guidance on this if anyone has any or can direct me to some!

I came very close to ordering the Nauticam.  But I think I'll be able to stick with trusty Sea & Sea now!

#19 AlexDawson

AlexDawson

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:26 AM

"Perseverance pays off."  Thanks, Alex, for your continued help.  I'm happy to report that I have now acquired all of the functionality that you originally reported!

Thanks Kurt! I am happy for you and please give us a trip report when you are back. 

I did not get the chance to try mine yet but hopefully on saturday... I might remove the live view leveler just in case, since it does not work anyway. 

kind regards // Alex

#20 AlexDawson

AlexDawson

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:52 PM

Hi,

I have made a dive with the setup now and I chose to remove the live view leveler just in case... The dive was to about 33 meters and I did experience a little bit of tribble with the ISO leveler but solved that problem with changing the iso in the menu's instead. In general the camera works perfekt!

From the first results I do not se any difference on sensor quality between the D800E and the D810. I shot my images in the 100-1000 ISO range in almost no natural light. 

// Alex

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: D810, D800E, Nikon, Sea&Sea, MDX-D800