3 replies to this topic

#1 bradrk

bradrk

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:52 AM

Hey Guys

SO I have a couple of strobes that are having a little trouble...... when I turn them on nothing happens,,,,,,,,, but if I tap it it turns on...... does anyone know what is going on???? are the capacitors starting to go or is it something else???

Im leaving for an overseas trip in a few weeks so would love to sort them out before I go.....

Thanks

Brad

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1581 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:07 AM

What kind of strobes, what kind of batteries etc.?

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:13 PM

Once you answer Bill's questions and get the batteries charged up you will need to reform the capacitors. This done by leaving a strobe on for a while. Thirty minutes for example. Do this before firing them. BTW NiMH batteries die if they are not used, so you may need new ones. This happened to be when I bought a secondhand but virtually unused strobe.

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.

http://www.salmonography.com/

#4 bradrk

bradrk

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:35 PM

HI guys 

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you, I have used new rechargeable batteries and seems to fix most of the issue. Tom I will try leaving them on for a while to reform the cap.... 

Thanks for your help 

Brad