Photo
- - - - -

Nikon D7100, Ikelite case, will it support 2 x Inon Z-240?

Nikon D7100 Ikelite Inon z-240 strobes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 The Fish

The Fish

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA Diving, Underwater Photography, General Photography, Website Development

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:02 PM

Hope someone can help. I have a Nikon D7100 in an Ikelite case and currently use an Ikelite DS160 strobe. However, it is very heavy and I want to begin doing macro with 2 strobes. My flight case and baggage allowance will not support another DS160! Will my setup successfully support 2 x Inon Z-240 strobes, and if so, is this my best option?

Grateful for any advice

"A strange twilight world opened up before me, and I felt as the first man to set foot on another planet, an intruder in this mystic garden of the deep." 20,000 leagues Under The Sea
SCUBA Blog
SCUBA Website
Facebook

#2 pooley

pooley

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:13 PM

You should be able to get sync cords to fire the strobes, but you'll lose the TTL

#3 The Fish

The Fish

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA Diving, Underwater Photography, General Photography, Website Development

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:37 AM

I can't use sync cords as I would have to use a Y cord and they reportedly damage these strobes.

"A strange twilight world opened up before me, and I felt as the first man to set foot on another planet, an intruder in this mystic garden of the deep." 20,000 leagues Under The Sea
SCUBA Blog
SCUBA Website
Facebook

#4 pooley

pooley

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:08 PM

I've always used a Y cord with my inon Z240's (currently up for sale, wink wink!) without a problem (not from an Ikelite housing though) and never been aware that they could cause damage. According to the Ikelite website you can use them, just not having the TTL.

#5 The Fish

The Fish

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:48 AM

Thanks for that. Still undecided.... the DS160 is a very good strobe...

SCUBA Blog
SCUBA Website
Facebook

#6 pooley

pooley

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:04 PM

I'd say a lot of it comes down to how much you want the TTL. Apart from that, the inons are lighter and have  cooler colour temp than the DS-160's, although you can easily lower the colour temp of the inons with  a lee gel filter - cheap and effective.

Both quality strobes in their own way

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Nikon, D7100, Ikelite, Inon z-240, strobes