6 replies to this topic

#1 sinetwo

sinetwo

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:53 AM

Hi all,

Thanks in advance to all the forum members who contribute, this place has been invaluable to me in terms of finding the right stuff. So I ended up buying an RX100ii and I've looked at the manual for the RX100ii (/M2) and i've done a lot of googling and have found pretty much nothing concrete on this subject.

The question really is simple: What is the minimum spec SD card you need in order for all the features of the RX100ii to not be throttled by the SD card limitations? E.g. shooting max resolution video and doing burst raw images?

The manual states class4 or more, but to me that sounds quite slow? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I would hate to be underwater having bought a cheap SD card to find that I can't do burst images at a speed which the camera is capable of.

Happy to spend money on a good SD card, but I don't want to go full tilt overkill :)

Thanks!

SineTwo

#2 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:57 AM

for video the manual is correct class4 is fine however this will increase the write time and make impossible to take multiple shots

Consider a class10 card and also that when you upload the videos or images it is also important the read time (same class10 but read speed of 45 Mb/s is better than 30 Mb/s)

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#3 sinetwo

sinetwo

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:34 AM

for video the manual is correct class4 is fine however this will increase the write time and make impossible to take multiple shots

Consider a class10 card and also that when you upload the videos or images it is also important the read time (same class10 but read speed of 45 Mb/s is better than 30 Mb/s)

Hi I noticed you responded to my other one about G15/16 vs RX100, so thank you for that. I obviously ended up going for the RX100 :)

I'll probably get a Class10 then to be safe with a good read speed. I presume class10 means a minimum write speed of 10mb/s and the read speed would be varying?

#4 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:41 AM

Correct

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#5 sinetwo

sinetwo

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

Alrighty then, class 10 ordered, thanks :)

#6 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:33 PM

Didn't go cheap buy a Samsung or Sandisk waterproof card

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#7 sinetwo