Photo
- - - - -

RX100 + Meikon. Accessories? Lenses etc.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sinetwo

sinetwo

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:23 AM

Hi all,

I'm new to UW photography, but bearing in mind upgrades for my hopefully future expensive hobby, I had a few questions regarding the Meikon housing:

* Can you equip it with any lenses? I.e. Wide angle or macro?

* What strobe and rig set up do you recommend for beginners?

Thanks!

I won't be purchasing any time soon but i'm keen on budgeting and saving money early on so I can pull the trigger if I need to :)

#2 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:58 PM

Some of those cheap housing have an M67 thread so you can try and put an inon lens on it (best match for the RX100)

Strobe wise get a strong one like an inon Z240, the strobe will last longer than the camera. Money lacking you can try a sea and sea YS-01 quite powerful for the cost but limited control

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#3 sinetwo

sinetwo

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:05 AM

Some of those cheap housing have an M67 thread so you can try and put an inon lens on it (best match for the RX100)

Thanks for your help so far, you've helped me on several occasions now :) MVP(oster)!

I haven't found any information on anyone using lenses on the Meikon housings, but I found this link and that suggests to me that it uses an M67 thread? Or is that just coincidental with the part number for the color filter?

https://www.aditech-usa.com/en/shop/1771-meikon-mk-rx100ii-sony-rx100ii.html 

This link states (although it looks like non-spec sales blurb) that is uses a 67mm thread, to use with macro lenses. I presume that means you could use an M67 Inon lens, whether that's macro or wide?

Thanks for your help so far, much appreciated.

#4 Rasul

Rasul

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:44 AM

Accessories for Meikon housing can see here - http://www.divervisi...?search=rx100m2

I purchase Inon UWL-H100 28M67 Type2 with Dome Lens, Reefnet Subsee +10 Close-up Lens. Strobe - Sea&Sea YS-D1. But it's not cheap

#5 sinetwo

sinetwo

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:46 AM

Accessories for Meikon housing can see here - http://www.divervisi...?search=rx100m2

Thank you Rasul, i'm mostly interested in wide so thanks again for letting me know about those - i'm happy to know m67 works. I just can't believe how insanely expensive wide angle lenses are! Wish I was more into macro :)

#6 Rasul

Rasul

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:12 AM

As a cheaper alternative, you can use it -  http://www.ebay.com/...=item3f24328016

But without a macro lens. It does not show a large wide-angle. Approximately + 20 degrees

#7 sinetwo

sinetwo

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:33 AM

As a cheaper alternative, you can use it -  http://www.ebay.com/...=item3f24328016

But without a macro lens. It does not show a large wide-angle. Approximately + 20 degrees

Hi Rasul, thanks for that link. Do you know if there's anything that has an even wider angle, but for a lower price than the INON?

#8 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:32 AM

Fisheye UWL28M67 or IDivesite UWL04 are both fisheye lenses (wider but with barrel distortion) at a cheaper price than the INON wide angle. We have them at £370 each.

www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#9 ecoliguy

ecoliguy

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:04 AM

I have the Meikon housing I use with the original RX100 (but the housing currently works for both mark 1 and mark 2 models since the rubber standoffs are a bit flexible). I use the M67 thread for an Inon H100 and a red filter on top of that... no dome. At night, I put a video light (RGBlue system 2) on the cold shoe. I have an Inon macro also, but rarely use it since I'm free diving and don't have the skills yet to steady myself and also have enough breath to play with the focus. Also, as Interceptor regularly points out, threaded lenses are a pain to swap mid-dive. I'd pay whatever extra it is for bayonet adapters if I did it again.

From the few reviews I've seen, the Meikon housing is a bit hit-or-miss as to which if any of the controls will be easy to manipulate. Mine's quite good... I have some trouble with the mode dial, but the mode dial on my RX100 is also quite gummed up and difficult to move even without the housing. Other people have trouble with the focus ring around the lens which could be more of a problem.

I also have an RX100m3 that I'm using for terrestrial use now. I'll probably go with the Meikon housing again.