238 replies to this topic

#221 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2188 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:47 PM

I stumbled across this supplier who I bet would add one of these custom gears to their range (or just make one-offs) if asked.

#222 thetrickster

thetrickster

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 11:03 PM

This was the last 'edit' of the focus gearing I made:

https://tinkercad.co...ngs/29Rl2kCpgi1

Just download and print :)

Regards, Richard

---

www.RichardWait.com

#223 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1570 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 09:37 AM

I stumbled across this supplier who I bet would add one of these custom gears to their range (or just make one-offs) if asked.

I know jussi he got me the mega OIS 14-42 gear when Nauticam wasn't yet producing one
Very precise and reliable person

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#224 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2188 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:24 PM

...The issue with this gearing is the springs - its quite a clever solution from Nauticam, if you're happy using the zoom gearing as a basis for the focus gearing, all that needs to be replaced is the top part (see photo) which I've redone for the smaller focus switch...

This was the last 'edit' of the focus gearing I made:

https://tinkercad.co...ngs/29Rl2kCpgi1

Just download and print :)

Thanks very much (belatedly) for this. In light of your earlier comments, can I confirm that the latest design does not require any parts from Nauticam's zoom gear (e.g. springs)?

Now that the WWL-1 and bayonet system are out, I'm thinking of investing in a 14-42 PZ / WWL-1 / CMC setup for dives that might involve big stuff and small stuff.

#225 thetrickster

thetrickster

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 12:56 PM

You still need to buy the zoom gearing for this to work (sadly).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards, Richard

---

www.RichardWait.com

#226 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2188 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 12:12 AM

Oh, OK. USD220. Ouch.

#227 bazmattaz

bazmattaz

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:59 PM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Find me on Twitter if you like @BazMattaz

#228 EspenB

EspenB

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:26 PM

Quick question. I'm considering putting the Panasonic 14-42 PZ underwater.

The port recommended was the 36139 - 35 mm flat port. This will combine well with the CMC wet lens for macro work.

However, for use with the WWL there is listed a new 36165 port which is 29 mm long. This latest port is not listed as beeing compatible with the CMC.

What gives? My priority is the CMC option, but it would be nice if the same port could suit both the CMC and WWL, but this don' seem to be the case in the port chart!?

However, it seems that the no power zoom version of a 14-42 mm lens will fit nicely in the 35 mm port for both the CMC and WWL.

http://www.nauticam..../catalog_24.pdf

Edited by EspenB, 19 January 2016 - 02:30 PM.

#229 Thomas109

Thomas109

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:20 AM

Quick question. I'm considering putting the Panasonic 14-42 PZ underwater.

The port recommended was the 36139 - 35 mm flat port. This will combine well with the CMC wet lens for macro work.

However, for use with the WWL there is listed a new 36165 port which is 29 mm long. This latest port is not listed as beeing compatible with the CMC.

What gives? My priority is the CMC option, but it would be nice if the same port could suit both the CMC and WWL, but this don' seem to be the case in the port chart!?

However, it seems that the no power zoom version of a 14-42 mm lens will fit nicely in the 35 mm port for both the CMC and WWL.

http://www.nauticam..../catalog_24.pdf

Hi EspenB, 

There is no problem to use CMC on #36165 Macro port 29. The shorter port is used for WWL-1 so as to reduce the space between the lens and WWL-1 as much as possible (to avoid vignetting). The 6mm gap will make no real different for the macro lens CMC. On the other way, there will be vignetting if you put the WWL-1 in front of #36139 Macro port 35 due to the 6mm gap.

Hope this help.

#230 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1570 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:01 AM

The cost of the 14-42 mega OIS II and printed zoom gear is less than the new port however it is standard and you can't control manual focus

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#231 EspenB

EspenB

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:29 PM

The cost of the 14-42 mega OIS II and printed zoom gear is less than the new port however it is standard and you can't control manual focus

Heck yeah, the H-FS1442A is cheap and even cheaper used - like 100 euro or so - but I allready have the PZ14-42 hanging around. Got the PZ togheter with an GF5 on sale for substantially less than the PZ14-42 lens cost alone.

So I allready have the PZ14-42 as well as the CMC wet lens, and with the zoom action controlled by the cursor keys on the GH3/GH4 all I'm missing is the port...

There is also the issue of Mega OIS vs Power OIS.

#232 EspenB

EspenB

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:36 PM

Hi EspenB, 

There is no problem to use CMC on #36165 Macro port 29. The shorter port is used for WWL-1 so as to reduce the space between the lens and WWL-1 as much as possible (to avoid vignetting). The 6mm gap will make no real different for the macro lens CMC. On the other way, there will be vignetting if you put the WWL-1 in front of #36139 Macro port 35 due to the 6mm gap.

Hope this help.

Glad to hear! Seriously I have no imidiate plans for the WWL-1 (with both 7-14 and fisheye 8 allready available for WA work) so standard and macro is my current concern.

So the question boils down to getting either the 35 or the 29 mm port. The former will also accomodate the 14-42II on a later stage, but no WWL-1 for the PZ. The later port is PZ14-42 only...

#233 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1570 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:34 PM

If you plan on using the power zoom lens only get the short port. Make your calculations correctly as the zoom gear for the PZ is expensive. I have both lenses and I only use the power zoom on land. Happy to sell a semi-new zoom gear

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#234 Etc

Etc

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 11:17 AM

Oh, OK. USD220. Ouch.

You still need to buy the zoom gearing for this to work (sadly).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I guess you need to buy the zoom gear and substitute one of the three pieces for the printed one. Am I right?

Edited by Etc, 16 May 2016 - 11:19 AM.

#235 thetrickster

thetrickster

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:51 AM

So I guess you need to buy the zoom gear and substitute one of the three pieces for the printed one. Am I right?

Yep, that about it.

The zoom gear has springs and is actually quite complicated - not something personally I could design and print. So I needed the zoom gear and modified it.

Jussi at deep shots might have a more skilled hand than I - and maybe a better printer to do a more complete custom piece.

Edited by thetrickster, 17 May 2016 - 11:14 PM.

Regards, Richard

---

www.RichardWait.com

#236 Etc

Etc

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:48 AM

Edited by Etc, 20 July 2016 - 03:51 AM.

#237 Etc

Etc

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:50 AM

Yep, that about it.

The zoom gear has springs and is actually quite complicated - not something personally I could design and print. So I needed the zoom gear and modified it.

Jussi at deep shots might have a more skilled hand than I - and maybe a better printer to do a more complete custom piece.

Hi
I finally bought the zoom gear and printed your piece, but the thread holes are extremely thin (in extremely thin walls as well) and the little screws couldn't screw well.
Besides this issue I'm affraid the material is too flexible and instead of "pushing" the knob as it should, the wall kind of "bulges" above it. I don't know if I expressed it well...

Can you tell me some 3D print specifications (material/resolution, etc I shoult consider before printing again?

Thanks a lot!!!

#238 thetrickster

thetrickster

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:03 AM

Let me print one and see what the issue is.

Where in spain are you? Can get one in the post to you if you like? (Im based down in Malaga area)

Regards, Richard

---

www.RichardWait.com

#239 Etc

Etc

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:26 PM

Let me print one and see what the issue is.

Where in spain are you? Can get one in the post to you if you like? (Im based down in Malaga area)

Are you serious???
I live in Madrid, but I'm from Malaga and have my family over there!!. Unfortunately I'm leaving to Maldives tomorrow, so I will have to shoot with AF in my very first macro tests with the GH4, but a friend of mine is joining us in 7 days. Maybe I could find some place to print it in Barcelona (where my friend is from) and make him bring it to me. You are very kind offering to ship it to me and I really appreciate it, but I guess by knowing the right resolution or material you are using I should get same results, Am I right?. If not sure, could you get it printed and send it to my friend?. I guess you have a spanish bank account I could  easily transfer the money of your expenses...

I've just got an estimate from a printing company... 104€ printed in Inox, and 300€  in aluminum!!!!!!!!!

Regards!!