146 replies to this topic

#141 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2023 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 09:12 PM

There was a firmware update to version 1.1 for the Olympus 60mm macro in September. "MF shooting operations have been improved." Might be worth trying for those having trouble.

#142 escape

escape

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 09:39 PM

There was a firmware update to version 1.1 for the Olympus 60mm macro in September. "MF shooting operations have been improved." Might be worth trying for those having trouble.

You can find firmware here (Oly 60mm update for Panasonic camera body).

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/pana/m_ed6028macro.cfm 

Edited by escape, 27 December 2014 - 09:44 PM.

#143 ScubaBob

ScubaBob

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 03:29 PM

The 60mm macro lens is an absolutely fantastic and sharp lens - but I can't see using this lens much hand-held - especially at close focus (which I usually do between 1-4" for small subjects). In 4k, the lens is equivalent to ~83mm on a APS-C sensor, 138mm on FF - hardly a fish portrait lens. That being said, I can't really see using any macro setup much without a tripod or some sort of stabilization to get decent video. Neither OIS nor IB stablization is likely to eliminate that need. I'm just starting to use this lens more, and although it can be challenging, especially in surgy conditions, I'm loving the video I'm getting from it!

Edited by ScubaBob, 29 December 2014 - 05:53 PM.

My Videos on Vimeo | YouTube
Panasonic DMC-GH4 | Nauticam NA-GH4 Housing
Light & Motion Sola 4000 Video Lights
Lumix 7-14mm / Oly 12-50mm / Oly 60mm Macro / SubSee +10

#144 peterbkk

peterbkk

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photographry Underwater Video.

Posted 30 December 2014 - 05:41 PM

The 60mm macro lens is an absolutely fantastic and sharp lens - but I can't see using this lens much hand-held - especially at close focus (which I usually do between 1-4" for small subjects). In 4k, the lens is equivalent to ~83mm on a APS-C sensor, 138mm on FF - hardly a fish portrait lens. That being said, I can't really see using any macro setup much without a tripod or some sort of stabilization to get decent video. Neither OIS nor IB stablization is likely to eliminate that need. I'm just starting to use this lens more, and although it can be challenging, especially in surgy conditions, I'm loving the video I'm getting from it!

Hmmm, maybe I should give it another try....

#145 scubavid1

scubavid1

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:11 PM

At which airport did SQ check the weight of your carry-on bag? Did they check everybody's bag weight?

I live in Singapore and Thailand and travel on SQ, TG, MI, GA, MH, KR, VN, etc. all the time and have never had my carry-on bag weighed. My underwater camera fits in a maximum-size backpack and weighs 15kg and it has never been weighed.

In fact, apart from the budget airlines, I've never even had a problem with overweight checked luggage. Just chat friendly with the staff, tell them what you do and they are usually very cooperative.

Maybe you need to hone your chatting technique... :)

Regards
Peter

Peter I just returned from Raja Ampat. Amazingly enough Singapore Air weighed my ThinkTank Camera Backpack at JFK before the start of my trip. They made me take my Nauticam Housing out of my backpack and put in my luggage. Luckily nothing got broken and all my luggage arrived ok. 

#146 kc_moses

kc_moses

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 08:37 PM

Seems like it's common for Singapore Airline to weight carry on bags at the gate for outbound flight from US. Did they give you the choice of gate check your Thinktank backpack?

#147 peterbkk

peterbkk

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photographry Underwater Video.

Posted 03 January 2015 - 08:41 PM

Peter I just returned from Raja Ampat. Amazingly enough Singapore Air weighed my ThinkTank Camera Backpack at JFK before the start of my trip. They made me take my Nauticam Housing out of my backpack and put in my luggage. Luckily nothing got broken and all my luggage arrived ok. 

Maybe it's a JFK airport policy.  The staff who insisted were probably not even SQ people, just their ground handling agent.