2 replies to this topic

#1 henkelphoto

henkelphoto

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:00 AM

Hi Guys!

I'm going to Cozumel in January. I've been there many times before and this trip is just for a relaxing, fun vacation. Underwater photography is not my first priority on this trip so the Nauticam housing and the OMD-EM5 is staying home. I'm taking my Niknonos V with a wide angle lens and a closeup framer. 

My problem is that since transparency film has gotten so expensive and hard to find processing for, I'm going to be using color neg film. Does anyone have suggestions on what brand and type of film to use? I'm leaning towards Kodak Ektar 100 since it is easy to get and has a 100 iso. 

Thanks!

Jerry

#2 Larry C

Larry C

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Sports, Antique Motorcycles and Old Trucks

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:28 AM

I don't think you have much choice at ISO 100.  I've been using Fujichrome Velvia 100 but you're right, it costs twice as much and then you have to send it out for processing.  I've been spending about $23 a roll to process and do quality scans.  If you want standard scans I think it saves you $5.  I send my slide film to The Darkroom in Southern Ca. and have them back in about a week with scans posted online in about 3 days.

D300 MDX-D300, 2xYS-110, 1 YS-D1, Tokina 10-17, Nikon 60AF D, Nikon 35mm f2.0, L & M Sola 600

Nikon F100 w/Sea & Sea NX100 Pro

#3 Bakeapple

Bakeapple

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:16 AM

I've been thinking of the same things, and while I have not yet tried it out, I will be packing 10 rolls of Ektar in my bag when I go off in a few days, along with some Velvia 50, just because I've always wanted to try it. From what I read, Ektar is the closest thing to transparency in terms of contrast and saturation. My camera shop sales guy kept trying to push Kodak Portra in 160, 400 and 800 ISO but I don't think it will match my desired style. Hopefully I will have some semi-decent results to show for it ;)

Edited by Bakeapple, 21 August 2014 - 07:16 AM.