Photo
- - - - -

Bad idea to go to Galapagos this summer? (El Nino)

el nino Galapagos travel

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 joez2391

joez2391

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:51 AM

Was thinking about spending a few weeks in the Galapagos this summer (June/July most likely) but unfortunately it seems like they are predicting an El Nino.  Has anyone been to Galapagos in El Nino conditions and would advise against it?  Would it still be worth it to go on the off chance El Nino doesn't happen? I didn't know how much it would affect wildlife viewing there next summer.  Thanks for the help

#2 divengolf

divengolf

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:User name says it all- Dive & Golf, plus a little fishin' when I can.

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:23 PM

I was at Cocos a couple weeks ago and it was definitively El Niño conditions. Water temps were in the 81-82 F range for the entire trip.

Can't comment on the effects at Galapagos, but it looks like El Niño is here for a while.

#3 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:41 AM

I was in galapagos in May and the water was warm 

However someone went last week and the water was still warm but there was thermocline and hammers were back

Not sure what the El Ninjo forecast is but it will be more certain towards end of Q3 in September

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#4 joez2391

joez2391

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:15 PM

thanks for the reply guys, I've never dove the Pacific during an El Nino so I didn't really know how drastically it would effect the marine life.  It seems like there were still a lot of sharks I guess I will just have to wait a few months and see what the predictions say. 

awesome video interceptor by the way!