• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:48 AM

While out and about in Dallas, we stopped for lunch at The Porch.   http://www.theporchrestaurant.com/   It's an excellent restaurant with tasty indulgent menu items.   I happened to notice that the specials board had "Grilled Black Tip Shark".   As one might expect, this bugged the heck out me.   This morning I remembered this event and I went to their website and emailed the managing partner.  I provided links to Shark Angels and to Shawn Heinrich's web page showing the devastation caused by shark finning.  

About an hour after I got to work, I received a call from Justin Beam, the general manager.   He said he and the executive chef discussed the matter and had looked at the links.   He said they would pull the menu item immediately and never offer shark again.  I thanked him.   I wanted to share the positive experience.   

Granted, this restaurant is part of the Consilient Restaurant group, which focuses on local farm to table type restaurants.  Anyway, we now have two more people on our side. 

BTW, the restaurant group consists of some pretty good eateries:

Hibiscus

Fireside Pies

Victor Tangos

AF+B (Ft. Worth)

If you are in the Dallas area, they are worthy of your business.

Edited by scorpio_fish, 26 August 2014 - 07:50 AM.

"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#2 allen

allen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:I spend most of my time alpine climbing, hiking, mtn. biking, or skiing. When I can get away it is to travel for climbing or diving. Been doing this nonsense for way too long to do anything different.

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:00 PM

Cool, I find a nice letter with factual comments often gets noticed with positive results.

Edited by allen, 29 August 2014 - 08:00 PM.

#3 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:59 PM

Great to hear.  

As Allen mentioned, I am always pleasantly surprised about  how people will respond with some information about the situation.  

#4 Stoo

Stoo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:28 PM

I had the pleasure of giving a slide presentation (What are "slide" presentations called nowadays anyway???) to a group of business leaders 10 days ago. My intention was to run a canned show with music, but they asked so many questions, that I shut the thing off, and went though the pics one at a time, and we talked about most of them. It became very apparent, very quickly, that these otherwise intelligent and successful people knew very little when it came to things "oceanic".

They knew virtually nothing of shark-finning, or that commercial fishing is utterly devastating for the most part, or that farmed fish create a whole new set of problems and on and on. They didn't understand how changing climate can have a major impact on our oceans.

I don't know about you folks, but about 99% of my good friends are active divers, so I had forgotten that my circle of friends doesn't represent the "Average Joe" when it comes to this sort of thing.

As photographers, we have a unique ability to show the public a side of our planet that most people will never see. As a direct result of that talk, 82 people know a bunch of stuff that they didn't before. That talk also led to two more talks on the calendar. I have decided to dramatically shorten my "pretty picture" component, and provide a little more emphasis on the talk/education part in the hopes of expanding a few more minds.

Having said all that, one guy, who runs a successful business came up to me after my presentation and challenged me on my comments about climate change. He had seen "a scientist" on TV and "the scientist" said that it was all BS. I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that he probably say the guy on "Faux News"!

Ok, so I guess maybe a educated only 81 out of 82, but that's ok I guess.

Edited by Stoo, 09 September 2014 - 08:34 PM.