4 replies to this topic

#1 RedKane

RedKane

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:25 PM

Hello All,

I have a Subal ND-800 Type 4 and Zen 230mm dome for my Nikon D800e.  I have a 33/EXR and 50/EXR for other lenses I use.  

I would like to know what port/extension rings I should use for my 16-35 f/5 lens for this setup.  Should i use a  +2 diopter as well?  

Thanks for any help.

Karl

#2 buddy

buddy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:diving, photography, golf

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:02 AM

I have the same configuration (although Subal DP-FE9) and using the 90mm focus extension ring and a +2 diopter. you could eventually stack your 50mm and the 33mm, although sub-optimal I think.

Juerg
www.jvpictures.com
Nikon D4s, Nikon 16-35 /f4 VR II, 70-180,105mm f/2.8, Subal ND4 housing and ports, 2 Subtronic Fusion (flash and video lights), Sigma 15mm /f2.8, Subal 4" Minidome

#3 TimG

TimG

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  • Location:Paris or Helmand, Afghanistan (yes, agreed, not much difference)
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm water, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:13 AM

Hi Karl

Like Juerg I use a D800 with the 16-35. With this I have used Subal's recommendation of a DP-FE4, 90mm EXR and a +2 diopter.

I've just got back from a week in the southern Red Sea where I used this wide-angle setup for the first time for an extended period. Although I've not yet had chance to go through the images in much detail, at first glance on a big monitor some of the edges look a bit soft. But, as I say, early days yet and I do need to spend more time looking at the RAW files. I'll post some next week.

Sorry, can't help though with the Zen port.

Tim

(former Dive Manager KBR - Lembeh Straits)
www. timsimages.uk

#4 RedKane

RedKane

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:36 PM

Thanks to you both for replying.  I appreciate the info.  Will let you know how things work out with the port as I gain experience with it, as well as my Subal, in general.

Karl

#5 TimG

TimG

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  • Location:Paris or Helmand, Afghanistan (yes, agreed, not much difference)
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm water, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted Yesterday, 10:22 PM

Hey Karl

I'm talking to other Wetpixlers in another post but I definitely have "edge softness" issues with the DP-FE4.

The solution seems to lie (probably) with a move to a larger domeport so your Zen 230 sounds good!

Like Juerg though, I do wonder if not using precisely the right EXR length will impact on the quality of the images.

Alex Mustard has uploaded a good presentation he did (I think it's called taking the Doom out of Dome) on to Wetpixel which explains some of the factors involved in domeports. He essentially compares a 4" port against the bigger ones. But I found it helpful in clarifying my thinking and understanding the diopter and EXR length issue. 

Tim

(former Dive Manager KBR - Lembeh Straits)
www. timsimages.uk