7 replies to this topic

#1 RedKane

RedKane

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:25 PM

Hello All,

I have a Subal ND-800 Type 4 and Zen 230mm dome for my Nikon D800e.  I have a 33/EXR and 50/EXR for other lenses I use.  

I would like to know what port/extension rings I should use for my 16-35 f/5 lens for this setup.  Should i use a  +2 diopter as well?  

Thanks for any help.

Karl

#2 buddy

buddy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:diving, photography, golf

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:02 AM

I have the same configuration (although Subal DP-FE9) and using the 90mm focus extension ring and a +2 diopter. you could eventually stack your 50mm and the 33mm, although sub-optimal I think.

Juerg
www.jvpictures.com
Nikon D4s, Nikon 16-35 /f4 VR II, 70-180,105mm f/2.8, Subal ND4 housing and ports, 2 Subtronic Fusion (flash and video lights), Sigma 15mm /f2.8, Subal 4" Minidome

#3 TimG

TimG

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  • Location:Paris or Helmand, Afghanistan (yes, agreed, not much difference)
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm water, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:13 AM

Hi Karl

Like Juerg I use a D800 with the 16-35. With this I have used Subal's recommendation of a DP-FE4, 90mm EXR and a +2 diopter.

I've just got back from a week in the southern Red Sea where I used this wide-angle setup for the first time for an extended period. Although I've not yet had chance to go through the images in much detail, at first glance on a big monitor some of the edges look a bit soft. But, as I say, early days yet and I do need to spend more time looking at the RAW files. I'll post some next week.

Sorry, can't help though with the Zen port.

Tim

(former Dive Manager KBR - Lembeh Straits)
www. timsimages.uk

#4 RedKane

RedKane

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:36 PM

Thanks to you both for replying.  I appreciate the info.  Will let you know how things work out with the port as I gain experience with it, as well as my Subal, in general.

Karl

#5 TimG

TimG

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm water, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:22 PM

Hey Karl

I'm talking to other Wetpixlers in another post but I definitely have "edge softness" issues with the DP-FE4.

The solution seems to lie (probably) with a move to a larger domeport so your Zen 230 sounds good!

Like Juerg though, I do wonder if not using precisely the right EXR length will impact on the quality of the images.

Alex Mustard has uploaded a good presentation he did (I think it's called taking the Doom out of Dome) on to Wetpixel which explains some of the factors involved in domeports. He essentially compares a 4" port against the bigger ones. But I found it helpful in clarifying my thinking and understanding the diopter and EXR length issue. 

Tim

www. timsimages.uk

#6 RedKane

RedKane

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:26 AM

Hi Tim,

With regard to the port itself, I have read (somewhere on the net) the same thing, i.e, the impact of port length on image quality.  It was an interesting article, discussing the impact the distance between the dome and the lens has on image quality.  If I can find it again, I will post a link.

I watched the presentation Alex Mustard did with regard to domes and minidomes with great interest.  I also found his information on apertures used with WA rectilinear lenses to be interesting as well. 

There is always something to learn with regard to UW photography.

Karl

#7 TimG

TimG

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:44 AM

Hi Tim,

With regard to the port itself, I have read (somewhere on the net) the same thing, i.e, the impact of port length on image quality.  It was an interesting article, discussing the impact the distance between the dome and the lens has on image quality.  If I can find it again, I will post a link.

I watched the presentation Alex Mustard did with regard to domes and minidomes with great interest.  I also found his information on apertures used with WA rectilinear lenses to be interesting as well. 

There is always something to learn with regard to UW photography.

Karl

Ain't that the truth! And just when you think you have it sorted, someone brings along another wheeze....

Tim

www. timsimages.uk

#8 funkyspelunker

funkyspelunker

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:07 AM

Try shooting both with and without that +2 diopter. You may find you don't need it.