• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lewinp

lewinp

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 06:37 AM

I've seen a number of photographer's websites where they have nice image protection - when you right click on an image, a dialog box pops up that says "Copyrighted image, permission is required to copy this picture," and you cannot "save as" to your computer. I am a graphic designer, and know there are a number of ways to get around this, but I think its a great way to hamper the casual image thief.

Does anyone know how you do this? I was not sure if its a script that has to run on a website, or if there is someone way you can add that protection (as a roll-over perhaps?) to an individual image. For example, a photo of mine was recently requested by a local park district for their website, is there a way I could add this feature to an image hosted on a website I do not control?

Any information would be appreciated!

#2 Detonate

Detonate

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA, Photography, Off Roading, Rock Climbing, Mt. Biking, etc...

Posted 18 June 2004 - 07:01 AM

Please, please, please don't do this.

This is the second most annoying thing web developers can do. The first being adding music...

#3 Detonate

Detonate

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA, Photography, Off Roading, Rock Climbing, Mt. Biking, etc...

Posted 18 June 2004 - 07:01 AM

Oh, and to answer the last part. It's a JavaScript, not a feature of an image itself.

#4 caveman

caveman

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 08:57 AM

question, who would want them anyway ?

#5 lewinp

lewinp

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:46 AM

To reply, I've had one picture (a print) given to someone as a gift turned into a postcard that they sold for profit, another picture I had posted on a website turn up on someone's website in a very misrepresentative way - in both cases, I was not asked or notified and found out by accident.

I'm not one of those "image Nazis" who has to control or profit from every possible use of a picture, and I think the beauty of the internet in sharing images, but I also think there is nothing wrong with limiting people's ability to copy my work. I realize not everyone feels this way, but I bet a lot of photographers who sell their work do. I also think this is much less intrusive than a watermark, or unsightly copyright notice in the corner.

Thanks for responding, I appreciate your input.

PS: One thing I disagree with Detonate on - the most annoying thing web developers do is the dreaded JavaScript "underwater bubble effect" on the cursor!

#6 PauP

PauP

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 01:39 PM

http://web-wise-wiza...ight-click.html

#7 whitehead

whitehead

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Lottery Tickets

Posted 21 June 2004 - 12:37 AM

in mnay cases you can right click and then goto EDIT>COPY

#8 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 05:12 AM

The new version of Gallery now has built-in watermarking. You may want to check it out.

http://gallery.menalto.com/

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#9 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 21 June 2004 - 02:41 PM

gallery is a little awkard to install if your server isnt set up exactly how gallery wants it to be .. a good basic requirement php image gallery program is coppermine and its free like gallery .. http://coppermine.sourceforge.net/
Mcgallery Pro stops image copying by turing the image into a php page .. but image quality is somewhat lost. http://www.mcgallerypro.com/ and it also costs money.

Gallery does havet he most features for free I am sure, but I had some huge problems with it on my server, it does require a lot. (but i guess thats what you get for more features)
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks