• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 laz217

laz217

Salty Pirate

• PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 05:31 PM

Well, I'm back... After my first liveaboard trip aboard the Sea Fever around the Grand Bahamas island I can surely agree -- IT IS BETTER IN THE BAHAMAS. I spent a fantastic week diving, snorkeling, eating, occasionally sleeping, partying and laughing with a fantastic group of mammals! :)

The crew of the Sea Fever ship were great and already I can't wait to do it all over again.

Most of all, I'd have to say that I learned a lot about u/w photography, u/w cinematography (not as easy as it looks) and, most of all, this trip definitely reopened feelings I hadn't felt since I began freediving.

Now, although I did shoot some photos, I'm affraid to say that after my first experience swimming with the wild bottlenose and spotted dolphins I decided to not bring a camera along with me.

While some of you are shreaking right now, I'm sure you all know too well that having a camera in front of your face really takes away from the moment. And needless to say, the experience with these magical creatures deserves no less than your full undivided attention. The way they look at you eye to eye as they swim inches away from you, the feel and sound of the water rushing by as they playfully circle you, the clicks and whistles they make while you tumble and turn like a fool. I don't think there's a photograph or video shot that can capture that.

The good news.. I dove plenty of times too and did bring my camera with me on some of those dives.. Enough talk...

Here are the pictures:

Now.. this wouldn't be complete without some pictures of my main-mammals! :P

For all you who haven't had the chance to do it. The chance to swim with these wild creatures is something you're sure to remember forever. Don't miss the chance to do it.

Lazaro Ruda
Lazaro Ruda
Soap box: TheLivingSea.com

#2 ellenm

ellenm

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 10:10 AM

Beautiful shots, Laz. You just keep getting better and better!

#3 snoack

snoack

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 12:41 PM

I understand your decision not the bring the camera with you, but honestly - didn't you miss her ?

Regards - Sabine

BTW:
1. I love your angelfish portraits !!!
2. I guess the arrow crab is a macro shot. What macro do you have now, a Sea&Sea MX-II with adaptor ?

#4 cmdasia

cmdasia

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 06:29 PM

The trumpet fish is a stunning shot - boy am I envious of that one.

#5 laz217

laz217

Salty Pirate

• PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 07:24 PM

Thanks for the very nice compliments everyone -- they truly inspire me to continue to shoot (even while the o-ring on my new underwater video dries up :) ).

To answer your questions, Sabine. I really didn't miss her (the camera) too much. The experience with these beautiful animals is so great that even the time I did bring the camera with me I was shooting from waist level. And probably the most magical moment of all when 4 dolphins stopped in front of me while I hovered in midwater and they began clicking away with their echolocation ~ I was so in awe that I even forgot to press the shutter button.

Thanks for the compliments on the angelfish portraits. I must say that the pair of angelfish I was photographing seemed unconcerned with my presence and let me get in real close for some shots.

The arrow crab shot was actually shot without any macro lens. I do use the Sea & Sea macro lenses though when I shoot macro. They're not perfect, optically, but I still enjoy the close-up shots I can achieve with them.

Cmdasia, I too really like the trumpet fish photo. The photography society I belong to (South Florida Underwater Photography Society) has a monthly competition and the one coming up in September is on trumpet fish. I was paying a little extra attention with the trumpet fish when I was out diving. I found that handholding the strobe helped me immensely in getting the lighting just about right.

Call me crazy but I'm going back out to Bimini at the end of August. Although only for three days this time, I'm going out for another pair of dolphin encounter trips and maybe a little scuba diving in between. I promise I'll post a more detailed dive trip next time around. I really wasn't recording everything that was happening on this last trip...I was just sitting back and enjoying the vacation more than anything.
Lazaro Ruda
Soap box: TheLivingSea.com

#6 snoack

snoack

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 02 August 2002 - 01:26 PM

Laz,

why don#t you send one of your pictures to digideep. They also have a weekly contest and i'm sure each of the pictures you posted here has a very good chance to win. (Please don't apply for this week, because i have a nudi running against one of Eric's beautiful sharks - which is enough competition :) )

Have a nice weekend,
Sabine