#1 johnnyfriday

johnnyfriday

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Underwater & Cameras

Posted 04 June 2016 - 02:50 PM

June 3, 2016

It saddens me to find myself writing in this forum the announcement of Mr. Bob Cranston's passing.....Bob Cranston passes away at home yesterday due to Cancer. Bob had inspired so many in our community and became friend to many....For those of us that had the good fortune to know Bob, there are too many stories and words to describe such a great guy and true friend. It's quite remarkable when you can think of not one person that did not like someone...Bob WAS that guy. Liked by all in an instant and a genuine "good ole boy"....

We lose not only an underwater legend of our era, but a truly generous, giving and warm hearted human being.  A man that had touched so many in our community and inspired myself and countless others. I can't think of a more generous and just downright great guy than Bob. There are so many stories.....and for now i'll let this community share their stories and remarks about a GREAT GUY that happens to have shot underwater film and video and shared unselfishly his knowledge to all that asked. 

Here's to you Bob!  You will be missed dearly, yet thought of often. A toast to your wonderful journey and thanks for the memories. 

Peace

DSC_6093.jpg

J002_C044_0618JL.0001056.jpg

Z001_C008_1119EG.0001363.jpg

Edited by johnnyfriday, 04 June 2016 - 06:48 PM.

Johnny Friday

La Paz, B.C.S., Mexico & San Diego, Ca.

Vimeo    Flikr

#2 dhaas

dhaas

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1044 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 04:57 PM

Very saddened to hear of this :( A great guy, super talented and certainly pioneered so many ocean imaging techniques. I'll not forget his generosity diving with Blue sharks with him way back when.

RIP..........

David Haas

Edited by dhaas, 04 June 2016 - 05:03 PM.

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10705 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 08:05 PM

RIP Bob!

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 tsthimios

tsthimios

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:09 AM

Never Forgotten, 

Bob has influenced me in so many ways just like he has with so many others I'm sure.

Bob was an incredible gentleman, diver, cameraman, teacher and friend an all round legend!! Who will always be with me in my work and in the water. Miss ya mate

Todd

toddthimios.com

Attached Images

• Screen Shot 2016-06-06 at 7.45.07 PM.jpg
  • Screen Shot 2016-06-06 at 7.44.27 PM.jpg

Edited by tsthimios, 06 June 2016 - 10:11 AM.

#5 Yellowmon

Yellowmon

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:20 PM

Well said, Johnny.  Bob is one of a kind, one of the good guys, always up to the task at hand, and always with a sense of humor and an admirable professionalism.  His work alone and his collaborations with Howard Hall and Peter Kragh brought some of the most stunning imagery and most beautiful moments of sea life and sea phenomenon into the living rooms and movie screens for millions of people and the world  and our appreciation of the natural world is a better place for all his fine work.  He will sorely be missed by all who knew him and by the people whose lives he bettered with his amazing body of work.  Rest in peace, dear Bob.

#6 Sean Ruggeri

Sean Ruggeri

Hermit Crab

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:18 PM

So damn sad to lose Bob! 

Johnny, I'm really glad you started this post. I know you and Bob were really close! 

He left me with so much knowledge and inspiration. Such an easily giving person with everything he has to offer. Such a great guy with the most amazingly salty sense of humor completely backed with care. 

One of my favorite three days ever lived, with you and Bob a few years back will be one of my greatest memories and learning experiences:

#7 Sean Ruggeri

Sean Ruggeri

Hermit Crab

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:25 PM

R.I.P. Bob! 

Attached Images

• Capt. Bob_low.jpg

#8 brandoncole

brandoncole

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:47 PM

I'll miss you buddy!

#9 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5845 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:47 AM

Hello, everyone. We've posted an article on the front page that can be used as a place to leave messages (along with discussion here). Please share with the community! http://wetpixel.com/...water-cameraman

eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#10 PeterRowlands

PeterRowlands

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 11:59 AM

Unfortunately I never had the pleasure of meeting him but I heard a lot about him and followed his achievements in the credits. I feel that we have lost a gentle force and I can only hope that his inspiration will fill the void that he has left. My condolences go out to his close ones at this time. 

Peter Rowlands UwP Mag - Magic Filters - Magic Charters
Sony A1 camcorder in a Seatools housing & Nauticam Panasonic GH2 with 8mm fisheye

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bob, Cranston, 2016, rest in peace