111 replies to this topic

#61 aczyzyk

aczyzyk

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:56 PM

I found this bag yesterday: Case Logic LLD-22
I can easily fit complete S&S D200 housing with large NX Fisheye Dome, 2x DS-125 strobes, arms etc. into main compartment. My 13" Macbook fits the lower part.
There is still some room left for other stuff or extra padding.

They claim it fits carry-on size limits of most airlines. It is within IATA limits, but 1" wider than some airlines.

Does anyone have experiance with it? I wonder how it fits overhead compartments and if there were no problems with taking it onboard.
Andrzej Czyzyk

www.flickr.com/photos/czyzyk/
D200, Sea&Sea DX-D200, Nikkor 10.5, Nikkor 105 VR, Tokina 12-24, 2xDS-125

#62 ktwse

ktwse

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:26 AM

I need to lighten up my carry on load. currently I take a backpack for a light weight jacket, magazines, Ipod, glasses, apple ibook, etc, and I carry a pelican with a seatool housing, 60 mm and 17-17 mm, inon strobe and a canon xti. Those of you who use a Think Tank would the smaller Airport Airstream give me enough space? I just go back from a dive vacation and it was a pain with two roller suitcases, the pelican and backpack. I like the versatility of a backpack as I tend to throw alot of stuff in it but I really would like to make things easier.

Wendy,

Can't say for sure but I wanted a case for my Oly E-520 with housing, port and strobe (as soon as they are released) as well as a canister dive light and various other bits and bobs and compared the Airport International and the Airstream before settling for the smaller roller. My equipment should be fairly similar to yours and it will fit.

That said, if you don't plan on carrying anything else you might want to go for the International as it gives you more space for additional items (I also want to carry either a "personal item" or my regulator case so opted for the smaller bag).

#63 von

von

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 02:26 AM

after many tries at doing this most efficiently- here is my system for avoiding excess bag charges. I pack my aquatica housing and ports in my eagle creek tarmac 25, wrapped up in articles of clothing then placed dead center of my bag with other clothes padding them all around. comes in under 50 lbs. ike ds 125s go in my dive bag , akona under 10 lb bag, also wrapped in clothes. my carry on is the akona pro camera bag with cameras , lenses and all accessories. best camera bag out there. this is secure enough that if I am forced to gate check this bag, I feel good about it... as good as one can me checking cameras.

#64 Blue_diver

Blue_diver

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:24 PM

Hi,

I've got two bags:

1x KATA 207 backpack. It's not IATA-compliant, but looksrelatively small, and fits my seacam, two strobes, strobearms and ports. Only my domeport does not fit, but I check that in.

1x THINKTANK Airport International. That does not look like a camerabag, and fits about same equipment. This one is IATA size

regards,

Richard

#65 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:48 PM

Im in the process of getting a new set of bags to transport my camera gear to shoots and for travel.

I currently use a variety of bags depending on where im going and what i need for shoots or hauling UW gear. These bags below are the major ones i use routinely now

Pelican 1510 with padded dividers (this is carryon only, if it has to be checked it goes inside of another bag which is put in another so to conceal it)
Northface Surge backpack
Tamrac Expedition 8
Mountainsmith Tour
Mountainsmith Day (on order)
Mountainsmith Network (this is a loptop briefcase that i use when i check gear for travel)
Mountainsmith Parallax photo backpack (on order)
Mountainsmith Correspondent roller case (carryon legal)(on order)

I cant take credit for this as i got a great deal of advice and help from Steven Frischling whose blog can be found here http://boardingarea....flyingwithfish/ if you read his blog you will see just how much stuff he is able to pack into his bags its amazing

Edited by Scubatooth, 12 February 2009 - 02:00 PM.

#66 drako

drako

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:13 PM

For my rig, I use the Akona camera bag. It has been able to fit two ports 4-5 diff lenses as well as two strobes and a dome. It is a GOOD bag.
For my gear/clothes I usually take an unassuming giant duffel that has bleach stains all over it.
:D

#67 Kogia

Kogia

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:51 AM

For my last trip I bought a Seahorse SE920 roll-on, which was highly recommended by a poster on one of these forums. Got a great deal at Fuerte Cases (which is linked from the Seahorse site). It is lighter than the equivalent Pelican, and larger than either the Pelican or the Storm case. I was able to fit in my Subal housing without removing the large viewfinder. This thing just barely squeezes into the American Airlines size-checker for carry-on. Now the bad news: I had 6 legs on my flights. 5 of these were on Boeing 757 and 717 aircraft, and the Seahorse fit easily into the overhead compartment. One leg, however, was on a Boeing 763. The Seahorse would not fit into the overhead in the economy cabin. It was going to be checked (with my camera bodies, lenses, and laptop inside) until I discovered that it would fit into the overhead in the first class cabin. I was just lucky that my seat was close to first class (making it possible for me to go upstream to get there), that some of the the first class passengers were late (allowing me to sneak it into a compartment space that became an issue once the occupant of the seat below arrived), and that no airline personnel saw me pop it in there (and therefore did not suspect that it did not belong to a first class pax). Without these three lucky breaks it would have been taken away from me on the middle leg of an international flight (on my way TO the destination), and I could have ended up in a real pickle. I won't be using it again unless I can confirm that all legs my flights are on a 757.

#68 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:35 AM

Mr Kogia, wait till you get on the DASH we'll be taking... Not even the Airport Accelerator will fit. Oh and we get only 15kg allowance. :)
For international travel, the soft backpacks are tough to beat for size and disguise. Plus they see laptop and cameras and won't check it for fear of liability.

Here is a link to Eric's packing for hand carry:

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=22986

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#69 ssra30

ssra30

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:53 PM

I now replaced my Pelican case with Rimowa Tropicana case
http://www.samys.com...20 Liter Volume

It is about 5kg lighter than my Pelican case and I can fit my Subal ND2 housing, 2 Ikelite DS125, all macro ports and dome ports, float arms, all chargers for my strobes, camera, and a small Hartenberger focus light. Total weight is about 20kg. It comes with dividers that you can cut up and arrange things however you like in a much smaller package than Pelican.
I am not sure which size I got but local store happened to have only one in stock and the size was right so I bought one :D

Edited by ssra30, 15 December 2009 - 06:54 PM.

#70 RedSeaDiver

RedSeaDiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:08 PM

I'm still trying to find a camera backpack which is deep enough to hold a 8 inch dome port on it's edge - so far it seems like all backpacks are only 6.5 inches deep.

If anyone knows of a deeper one please post!
Red Sea Dreaming....

Canon 7D, Tokina 10-17, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 17-70, Canon 100mm macro, Kenko 1.4x Teleconverter, Nauticam housing when it arrives, 2x Inon Z240 strobes, Lowepro Vertex 300 AW backpack.

#71 whaleshark

whaleshark

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:15 AM

With weight restrictions and carry-on bag limits it is getting really hard to take a DSLR and UW housing on a dive travel trip. My solution is to put all of the expensive cameras, computers and lenses in my carry-on Pelican roller box and check the UW housing, ports, strobes, chargers, arms etc. in a hard box. Of course, the Pelican boxes are heavy so the box adds weight to the severly limited restriction of 50 pounds. I found an Underwater Kinetics "Load Out Case" that weighs a few pounds less but seems adequate for protecting the gear from baggage handlers.

This source shows specs for and carries Underwater Kinetics and Pelican Boxes:
http://www.opticspla...-dry-boxes.html

The box is large enough for all the UW gear, but if I filled it full of gear and clothes it would weigh 70 pounds or more. So I seperate every piece of the housing, ports, brackets, arms, strobes, batteries, etc and wrap each one in bubble wrap. I fill any gaps with pieces of closed cell foam and foam rubber. I also use a zip lock bag for anything electronic (strobes, batteries) to protect them from the cold and condensation that may occur in a sub-freezing baggage compartment at high altitude. I've saved the bubble wrap from shipments I've recieved and use a rubber band to secure it rather than packing tape so I can reuse it. (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle) When I get where I'm going I store the bubble wrap in any bag that's handy until the end of the trip, then rewrap for the return flight. By filling the box with bubble wrap and foam pieces, I manage to pad everything, fill the box solid with padding and keep the weight close to 50 pounds. It all weighed about 54 lbs on the last trip, including an Ikelite housing, an 8" dome port, a flat port and two DS-125 strobes. The ticket counter just waved it through because the average weight of our bags was under 50 lbs.

It's amazing how the baggage handlers always want to flip these hard-case roller bags over on their backs. I'm always glad for the extra padding.

My wife doesn't use a heavy UW camera, just a P&S in a plastic housing, so I share some of her luggage space for my dive gear and clothes. We check 4 bags which are carefully packed to meet the 50 lb limit and carry one bag each. If she had a DSLR in a housing we probably couldn't meet the weight restrictions. I could not meet them if I were travelling alone with this gear.
Dave in So Cal
Olympus E-3, E-330, C-8080, Olympus Zuiko Digital lenses: 7-14, 11-22, 14-54, 50 f/2, 50-200, Pan/Leica 25 mm f/1.4
Ikelite housing for C-8080 and E-330, dual Ikelite DS-125 strobes

#72 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 11:30 AM

I have my D90, DS-125, 3 ports, tray and 2 ULCS arms in a 1600 Pelicase.
This goes in a Samsonite soft luggage and is topped up with clothes or so.
The only reason of the Samsonite lugage is to hide the Pelicase inside.
Camera, computer, cables, external Harddisks, etc, etc, travels carry-on
in a photo backpack with computer compartment.
But now i am in trouble because i bought a G11 with the Patima housing
and my "old" D-2000 strobe attached, all fits nice in a 1450 Pelicase but adds
space and about 20 pounds more of weight...
At least i have another complete dive gear at "home" in Italy, so i don't have to hassle
around transporting the dive gear too.
(and i wish i could afford to have a 2nd D90 rig there too....)

Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#73 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:19 AM

Just a short update as i packed and weighin both Pelicases for my trip home to Italy.

Pelicase 1600 weights 13.6 Kilos / 30.2 lbs containing:
Ikelite D90 Housing with 2 handle tray, 2 2x8'' ULCS arms, 1 Ikelite DS-125 strobe with charger, 6'' dome, 105mm and 18-105mm port

Pelicase 1450 weights 6.5 Kilos/14.33 lbs containing:
Patima G11 Housing with both ports, Inon D-2000 strobe, homemade SS tray and S&S flexarm, Inon UWL-100 WA Lens

Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#74 Alexx

Alexx

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:Tec diving, Cave diving, UW photography and videography.

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:10 AM

Hy,

Week ago I picked up Pelican IM 2700 case!

I managed to put inside: Canon 7D, Aquatica A7D with handle tray, Tokina 10-17, Canon 100mm macro. 2x Inon LE550W, macro port + 2 ext. rings,2 x Inon Z240`s with cables, and there is space for ZEN 100mm!

Edited by Alexx, 13 September 2010 - 05:12 AM.

Canon 7D, Aquatica housing, 2 x Inon Z240, Canon 16-35 f2.8, Tokina 10-17, Canon 100mm macro, 2x Inon LE550W, 2xMangrove 4L6 lights

- Vimeo Channel -

#75 Jasoncassanova

Jasoncassanova

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:14 AM

Finally I got what i've been looking for though since i'm new figuring our the dividers is a bit of challenge for me and it will be even more when I start adding up to my rig.

Kata HB-207

#76 Aigar Sisask

Aigar Sisask

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:37 AM

Hello
I used to pack my things Explorer case 7630.B. It is filled with foam. Foam is pre cubed and its make easy to cut different size holes for all kind of equipment. This pre cubed is good but maybe bad in longer use terms, because this pre cubed foam, holes what You make, quite easily like to enlarge bigger when you several times remove layers. But time will show how this is working. Of course Explorer have also soft padded dividers, but first I liked to test this foam. This case arrived with 3 thick and 2 thin layers foam.
When I started to think what case and how big case I will need, I was very sure that over wight is certain when I like to take all photo equipments and diving gears also, then I choose bigger case and hoped to fit all to one case.
First of all I think to put in this case only photo equipments, but when I received case I understand that I must try to fit all things, because its not easy to take two bag what I give away and one what I take in plain. So I decided to fit all photo equipments and dive gears to this Explorer case and only few clothes and camera and lenses I take with me in plain.
This case is so deep, that I decided to hide smaller things inside several layers. First layer (thin layer foam) I hided housing handles. Second layer started to fit bigger and more sensitive parts. I hided all parts inside second, third and fourth layer (thick layer foam). On top I used second thin layer foam to cover most photo equipments and started to fit dive gears. And I was able to fit all things. Only what isn't in picture is my BCD. It just don't fit because I have ScubaPro T-Black. But soon I will receive my travel BCD ScubaPro Geo and then all things will be one case. And end of packing I use two Explorer case three number lock to be sure that no one can so easily open and see what is inside the case.
I don't know yet is this packing will work, but end of this year October I will go travel and test it.
This case weight now max 35 kg. +/- 2 kg when I receive new BCD. Most of my traveling its not a problem, because diver can take 20 + 12 kg free of charge and 8 kg carri in baggage. If using soft badded dividers weight might be even smaller. But this in future testing.

Only problem what I have no is insurance. Because here in Estonia no insurance company don't make such value case insurance. They have maximum amount only 2000 EUR-os and all things cost much more. One company made insurance offer and two weeks cost 291 EUR. I think its to much and I will try to find cheaper solution.

Here is few pictures to show what I did:
http://aixlands.planet.ee/Kast_koos/

Best Regards
Aigar

#77 r4e

r4e

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:35 PM

This case weight now max 35 kg. +/- 2 kg when I receive new BCD.

You might want to check with your airline and airport(s). I recall that there would be a 32 kg limit on any single luggage item irrespective of the overall allowances and extra charges...

vimeo.com/r4e

http://www.cerella.fi for the Underwater Photographer and Videographer

#78 Aigar Sisask

Aigar Sisask

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:13 AM

Thanks this tip. If I change mu regulator and BCD, then I think in my case there is no problem. Total weigt then is something like 32 kg.

#79 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:57 AM

I know the think tank bags are pretty popular in genral for hauling set ups, but what is the concensous on mopuntainsmith boarding pass for transporting UW rig?

#80 -hh

-hh

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

Something that I've been looking for in the "packing" category is how to keep dirt, dust & junk out of the inside surface of my dome port while it is broken down into pieces for transit, since it is a bit of a nuisance to clean the interior surface & Murphy prioritizes things that are hassles.

Ideally, there would be a low profile screw-in plug that would fill the hole. But barring that, does anyone have any suggestions specific for an 8" Ikelite dome?

-Hugh