First 60mm shot with my D70 (Topside)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Detonate

Detonate

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA, Photography, Off Roading, Rock Climbing, Mt. Biking, etc...

Posted 15 July 2004 - 01:17 PM

Well, I knew I wanted a macro lens, and after seeing Mariono's latest shots with one, I decided to go ahead and pick the lens up on the way home from work today.

I walked out into the landscape in the front yard looking for subjects and found this little guy on the tree right by my truck! :D

Posted Image

And here is a 100% crop
Posted Image

Looks like this is indeed the lens I've been wanting!

I played with the 105mm at the shop a little bit before deciding on the 60mm. The 105 was nice, but didn't seem to be that much more for the price. I figure the 60mm will be a little bit easier to use for starters, and then maybe next year I'll think about the 105mm.

#2 kdietz

kdietz

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 02:21 PM

Good job Jim.........I could see it coming :D

Karl
Karl Dietz...Nikon D200...Ikelite iTTL housing...10.5mm...15mm FE...12-24mm...17-35mm...60mm micro...105mm micro...dual DS-200's
www.kdietz.com

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 02:31 PM

Many people think that the 60mm is an inherently sharper lens than the 105mm. You won't be disappointed. Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#4 Detonate

Detonate

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 01:47 PM

It has exceeded my every expectation topside. I can't wait to get it wet! I just ordered the Port for it from Ryan today. I hope to have it in the water this weekend.

And now presenting... The darker side of Macro. :)

Posted Image
Poor little bugs....

Posted Image
Itsy Bitsy Baby Spider

Posted Image
Mmmmm, dinner!

Posted Image
100% crop from the above.

#5 kdietz

kdietz

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 02:28 PM

Excellent detail Jim.........are you hand holding these shots?

Karl
Karl Dietz...Nikon D200...Ikelite iTTL housing...10.5mm...15mm FE...12-24mm...17-35mm...60mm micro...105mm micro...dual DS-200's
www.kdietz.com

#6 critter

critter

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Photography, scubadiving, underwater photography, golf, camping.

Posted 20 July 2004 - 02:31 PM

All of these are great shots. I went the Tamron way of macro. I have the 90 and the 180. Both are the sharpest pieces of glass I own. This nikkor looks very very nice.

Tony
Tony
Life is one long surface interval

#7 richorn

richorn

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 02:34 PM

I really love the 60mm underwater, but found very quickly the advantage of the 105. The 1:1 distance on the 60 is very close to the port, and quite often you can't "get in" close enough, or can't get the strobes where you want. The extra 4 inches away the 105 puts you on these shots is a dream!

my $.02, get both!

This was shot with the 105mm from minimum focal distance, about 4or5 inches in front of the port:
Posted Image

#8 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 02:43 PM

I agree that eventually you will want both a 60mm and 105mm. I generally prefer the 105mm, but I'd rather have the 60mm on for a muck dive.
I have heard many people comment that the Nikkor 60mm is inherently sharper than their 105mm. I don't have a problem with my images from either.
Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#9 Detonate

Detonate

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 05:10 PM

Excellent detail Jim.........are you hand holding these

Thanks! And yeah, I've been hand holding these. Which is pretty surprising, since I have pretty shaky hands. Anything below 1/80 starts loosing sharpness for me, and apetures below F14 are very difficult for me to hold the "in focus" portion where I want it.

I really love the 60mm underwater, but found very quickly the advantage of the 105.

Yeah, I can imagine. At the time I couldn't justify the cost of the 105mm over the 60mm. I think we are talking like $65 per inch, just to be back 4 more inches. Granted, they are a pretty critical 4 inches! :)

I have a cruise in October, and possible a Flower Gardens trip coming up. We'll see how it goes, and maybe I'll be ready for the 105mm sometime next summer.

#10 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 11:47 PM

Granted, they are a pretty critical 4 inches!

You know, there are situations that even 1 inche can make the different... :wink:

Great lens, for now I tried it only (friend one) but hope to have it in the near future.
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.