6 replies to this topic

#1 hyp

hyp

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:00 AM

Hi all, 

I am looking for advice on picking between the YS-01 and the S2000 strobe. I will be inheriting my parent's Panasonic LX7 (+UWL 100 Wetlens) in Nauticam housing, but not their lights as they upgraded to mu43. I am planning to do the same in the long term, but would like to already buy my lights so I can spread the expense. I'm planning to run a dual strobe setup.

Both strobes are roughly in the same pricing bracket with the YS-01 being about 50€ cheaper in Germany. The YS-01 also seems to have slightly nicer controls (no magnet...), so it is currently my favoured option, but I would like to know how others feel about this. After reading about strobe failures on the more expensive YS-D2 I was wondering how both strobes compare in terms of longevity. 

#2 hyp

hyp

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:41 PM

Anyone?

#3 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1914 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:36 AM

I have used both and find the Inon to be far more reliable for most things. If you will be doing lots of cold water diving with dry gloves then I would suggest the S&S (the Inons have really small switches) but otherwise I really like the Inons

My oldest S2000 have more than 600 dives on them and have been perfectly reliable.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#4 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2235 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:48 AM

Hi hyp

I'm not familiar with the Inon 2000 but can heartily recommend the Inon Z240 - which is a very popular strobe for Wetpixel users.

If you are planning to upgrade at some stage from your Panasonic, you might want to think about going with Z240 now if you chose Inon rather than the Inon 2000. I'm sure you would find that the Z240 would grow with you whereas, from all I have read here, a lot of folks consider the 2000 slightly more limited.

Just a thought!

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#5 watboy

watboy

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:07 AM

Do to some poor planning and lucky raffles, I've ended up with a  pair of S2000 and Z240s. They're both great, well built and reliable and have lasted years and hundreds of dives. The S2000 is great for macro. The small size makes for a much easier rig to handle and they are easier to position for tight shots. However, its woefully insufficient for wide angle. Only other grip, the controls are quite small on the s2000, but for macro I just set sTTL and forget about it. The Z240, is far more capable strobe, but costs more. If you could, I would seriously consider spending more to get a Z240. It will outlast your camera... and the next camera too, and you can later get a second Z240. I would not recommend the D2000.

#6 hyp

hyp

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:13 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

I don't really think I can stretch the budget to a Z240. It is double the price and when using the diffuser the beam angle is the same and the GN seems to be only marginally higher (GN of 24 vs 20 without Diffuser). Is there really such a big difference between the flashes. I understand that handling on the Z240 is much better, but I think that may also be true of the S&S YS-01?

How is the reliability of the S&S YS-01? I hear very good things about the INON, but have found little (neither positive nor negative) on the S&S. Only thing I found was problems with bulbs on the YS-D1 and D2 series, which have way higher output than the YS-01 or even the Z240. Maybe they are slightly overtuned?

I will mostly shoot in manual, so good controls are important for me. There may be some cold water dives in my future but most will be warm.

#7 hyp

hyp

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:34 AM

Shameless bump